Re: [xmca] Criticism from inside to ground cultural critique in comparative context

That is correct, Leif. It is quite difficult. Often insiders take govt
propaganda as opposite of reality and valorize "outside" cultural
values.practices.norms that those who are "insiders" from the "outside"
themselves do not value.

We saw this happen in the USSR and some of its consequences in the immediate
aftermath of its fall.

At the same time, systems leak. That is the good news, even if one has to
whisper or hide behind aesopian language, or resist in all the ways that
people like Bakhtin and others have written about.

The enemy of our enemy may not be that friendly.

mike