From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Bruce Robinson
Sent: Wed 1/6/2010 7:02 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Jane Addams, Dewey,and the (Hegelian) dialectic - upside down

Greg,

Leaving Hegel and Dewey aside for now, maybe we should return to the real
world and ask whether "all antagonisms are unreal"? For me, most serious
social antagonisms (not things such as bad interpersonal relations) have a
basis in real material  relations and are not reconcilable at the level of
who has the best rhetorical or moral argument, though that may affect the
eventual outcome.

Putting it in terms of the evolutionist / creationist debate, what might a
compromise look like? Would it be just a little bit creationist? Is a
meaningful dialogue between superstition and science possible? I've just
written a short review of 'Critique of Intelligent Design: Materialism
versus Creationism from Antiquity to the Present' by John Bellamy Foster,
Brett Clark, and Richard York. They make the point that no compromise which
advocates two non-overlapping spheres of science and religion (as advocated
by Steven Jay Gould and moderate religious evolutionists)  is acceptable to
the creationists as they recognise that once science is allowed to define
its own sway, god can only be reduced to an ever smaller role ending up with
pantheistic or 'final cause' positions. As they also point out, the conflict
between materialism and creationism is over 2,000 years old and is hardly a
question of misunderstandings.

Bruce R