Re: [xmca] praise and criticism: chinese-American comparison

Mike, I just checked my emails since I posted my wild idea on what the
equivalent of meta-analysis in qualitative data would look like, and other
ramblings. My new year's resolution is do lots of listening in.

 Thanks for the article of Miller et al. I like it very much. Narrative is a
powerful socializing tool. I take it that children's telling
autobiographical stories with what audience and co-narrators and in what
situations, and how the stories evolve, has much potential for researching
child development. It seems to me that conformity to group norms versus
nurturing of individuality explains well the roles of criticism and
praise/self-esteem, as you suggested in the thread title.

Yuan

p.s. I'm here not to learn the discourse of xmca per se (just in case it may
sound alarming), but that of socio-historical approaches. My dissertation is
about children's understanding of the social world and applies a
neo-Piagetian perspective.