Re: [xmca] Fwd: [Air-L] An Australian researcher decries acadamia as career option

I thought the commentaries even more informative than the main article,
Greg. Yes its depressing, and its part of the landscape that has been
growing, like a big coal sludge pile.

Aside from all the downsides mentioned, one that i encountered involved
student I was teaching who had an adjunct (here they are often referred to
as "freeway fliers" since there is not public transportation that will
suffice). Anyway, this person was piecing together life in a way that the
students taught in a class here at UCSD also experienced negatively. S/he is
a very bright and dedicated person but s/he was so strung out that the
student realized that they were getting time with someone at the end of a
too long day with too many miles taught and too many classes taught.

It goes hand in glove with privatization and another of other related
tendencies we have been discussing. And as you can see from comments here on
XMCA, it is not local to any one locale.

mike