Re: [xmca] Fwd: [Air-L] An Australian researcher decries acadamia as career option

This is exactly why I have dumped the idea of continuing to try to secure a permanent position at an Australian university, and being just at thesis submission stage, am about to return to the commercial language teaching world. Better pay, freedom to follow my own academic interests, and freedom from the endless bureaucracy. I spent the year as a casual lecturer and can't really say it was a satisfying year, scratching around for the 26 weeks when there were no classes to teach. Andy, your snapshot of Oz university life is spot on based on my recent experiences.

Happy New Year everyone!

Phil