[xmca] Re: Obama's Learn Act

So, based on the thoughts of others, here is my suggestion for
the Department of Education:

How about a media campaign titled "Think Critically". The idea
would be to have an array of historical figures that speak to
different people in different ways. Just like the "got Milk"
campaign, this campaign would always feature the words "think
critically" and each ad would have a different historical
figure with a brief paragraph describing how they were
critical. To make this work, these figures would need to be
varied and would need to speak to local values (here is a
problem of finding a narrative that speaks to everyone - the
US has such different populations). I would propose including
such disparate figures as Jesus Christ (see below), Buddha,
Mohammed, MLK, Jane Addams, John Dewey, Malcolm X, Abraham
Lincoln, etc. The idea is to pull all of these various figures
together under one umbrella of critical thinking. The little
blurb for each person would be essential because it would
define what precisely "critical thinking" is. And what would
be most important would be to have people that would appeal to
both ends of the political spectrum (my list is a little heavy
on the left, but Jesus would seem to be a nice balance). The
idea would be to interpellate all Americans into a subject
position of a critical thinker.

I think that it is somewhat of a risk for whichever party is
in charge at the time (since it invites criticism of a status
quo that often reflects the will of those in power). I would
like to think that the Obama administration could see the
value of this in the long run (and short run too).

Responding to Jay's and Andy's and Martin's suggestions, I
like the suggestions by Andy and Jay that seem
like immanent critiques of the position of the religious right
(both were variations of: "Jesus would have supported critical
thinking").

It seems important to note that this requires taking
seriously the position of the other (something that seemed
like it wasn't easy in either Jay's or Andy's case, maybe even
a little painful?). Might this be an important part of how we
can help to foster critical thinking? If we were to take other
people's heartfelt beliefs seriously and not ridicule,
criticize, or humiliate others for their beliefs, we might
actually be able to get past the structures of resistance and
we might be able to finding a middle ground. This seems to be
at the heart of any notion of pluralism (and I'm not certain
that others on this listserve find a vision of pluralism
appealing since it would mean affirming positions that are
"wrong" by one's one lights (e.g., Fundamentalist
Christians)). As James noted, religious beliefs have a real
and palpable pragmatic force in people's lives. Let's not
forget that, particularly as we are in that time of year when
we celebrate one of the earliest culture wars in the Maccabean
Revolt against the Romans.

Martin, I personally found your quote to be tasty, but my
concern is that it won't have widespread appeal to the palette
of the general public (to return to that uncomfortable
high/low distinction - it is only for those of us with
"refined" palettes -- please read sarcastically).

I think there is a lot of immanent critique of the political
right that could be going on but isn't (and the right has
certainly been doing it to the left). The ideology of
individualism (which I raised concerns about in my last email)
could be one way of getting into critical thinking. Even
fundamentalist religions hold onto some variation of: "you
have to find out the truth for yourself". I think there is a
lot that can be done with this in terms of encouraging
critical thinking (or "thinking for oneself").

As an alternative, Durkheim's words seem useful to consider -
Durkheim writes "each religion is true after its own fashion".
Is there any activity oriented view of religious practice as
something that has a certain truth value to it? It is at the
heart of many communities, so why not allow for that and work
with it? I think this is what so many on the left seem to
miss. They (we) prefer to engage partial recognitions of those
on the right (e.g., the humiliation of a book and now
"documentary" like "what's wrong with Kansas" - and btw, I'm
writing this from Leavenworth Kansas), and they (we) forget
that there are real people out there living life with religion
as their core value.

By approaching religion as it is lived in people's everyday
practices and taking it seriously as such, it would seem that
it would be much easier to see moments where one can launch
into immanent critique. Jesus was a cultural critic, no? (and
I think that this phrasing takes the belief more seriously
than either of the previous phrasings).

Or take Chuck Norris' essay (be nice!), isn't it sacrilege to
suggest that Mary would have sought an abortion (from this
perspective)? At the least, this would make most Catholics, if
not Protestants, think twice before repeating Norris'
defamation of Mary (note my stance of firm inhabitance of the
position here, is it uncomfortable for you to read?).

As for the other debates, I wonder if the creationist movement
gains a certain amount of rhetorical power from being
a "censored" (even "oppositional") movement. If this
opposition were gone, would it still be as big of a deal (and
the same can be said for FOXNEWS and "the liberal bias"). Do
we not trust the intelligence of average people to be able to
figure out the fallacy of creationism for themselves? Or do we
just fear the power of "brainwashing"? Do we have to have a
system of "counter-brainwashing" (we call it "truth-telling",
but the other side would say the same thing about their
position...).

As for The Graduate, this is where I get a bit more cynical
(and Mike, I watched it most recently when in Jennifer's
Global Ages class a few years back). I read the ending as
simply a return to the beginning (which actually happens
before the movie begins) - the moment when Mrs. Robinson (or
whatever her maiden name was) first ran off to marry Mr.
Robinson without their parents' permission - just a couple of
crazy kids acting as if they were engaging in some act of
rebellion. Thus, at the end, Dustin Hoffman finds himself
right in Mr. Robinson's shoes, right back at the beginning and
ready to repeat the whole business all over again. But Mike, I
appreciate the hopeful sentiment that you place on the ending
and I can see how it would work pedagogically to read the
ending as an open possibility that has the potential for
transformation.

For whatever reason, pedagogically I tend to try to frustrate
my students by first making them realize the extent to which
they are reproducing what came before (dominated by the
social) so that they can push for more radical liberatory acts
(I should note that I haven't been impressed by my results so
maybe it's time to change the playbook).

Okay, that's too much. Look forward to hearing others' thoughts.

-greg

p.s. sorry for the long post - it's been accumulating over a
couple of days now.

>Message: 4
>Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:09:04 +1100
>From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
>Subject: Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act
>To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>
>Jay, that "critical thinking" has a chance of being a shared
>aim of education is supported by the fact that the bible
>bashers now prefer to argue that Natural Selection is an
>unproven hypothesis, and that Genesis is another equally
>plausible hypothesis, rather than trying to claim exclusive
>access to the truth. A lie of course, and a damn annoying
>one at that, but still a concession to our postmodern,
>sceptical times. Critical thinking is part of the fine
>liberal tradition going back to Burke and Locke, about not
>being sucked into "ideology". Isn't this something Jesus
>would have supported? :)
>
>andy
>
>Jay Lemke wrote:
>> Tony and all,
>>
>> Not sure if this post was meant for xmca or not, certainly
the many
>> references will be of interest.
>>
>> The closing quote thought included this:
>>
>> " ... Within our civilization every
>> young man or woman is systematically encouraged to enter
more or less
>> profoundly into a debate about the moral values and
intellectual  assets
>> that determine our order of life."
>>
>> Even in 1966, when it was published, it seems unlikely to
have been the
>> case, though maybe it was an ideal for many people. I
certainly don't
>> remember being "systematically encouraged" to enter that
debate. It was
>> more like having to crash the party, start the discussion,
or fend off
>> the disparaging attitudes of all the people who thought it
quite
>> unnecessary to have such a debate. Even at the University
of Chicago,
>> where in 1966 there really was an intellectual tradition of
critical
>> thinking that systematically encouraged it among
undergraduates, I
>> eventually realized that it was still a foregone conclusion
that at the
>> end of the debate we would be affirming the Western
tradition, and its
>> pinnacle, the beliefs, principles, practices and
institutions of the
>> good old USA -- with room for some small improvements, of
course, so
>> long as they carried out the same principles.
>>
>> By 1968 I was wondering if those principles could ever be
enough. By
>> 1972 I was quite sure they would not be. Today I look back
on them as
>> hysterically naive. Or maybe just as the best of the 18th
century
>> hopelessly overwhelmed in the 21st.
>>
>> Still, I'd be happy if people far more conservative than I
could agree
>> with me and my ilk that such systematic encouragement ought
to be the
>> primary goal of education. With that settled we could get
round to
>> arguing about how to organize the debate in ways that did
not try to
>> conclusively pre-empt its outcomes.
>>
>> JAY.
>>

>> Jay Lemke
>> Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
>> Educational Studies
>> University of Michigan
>> Ann Arbor, MI 48109
>> www.umich.edu/~jaylemke
>>
>> Visiting Scholar
>> Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
>> University of California -- San Diego
>> La Jolla, CA
>> USA 92093
>>

>> On Dec 19, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Tony Whitson wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I'm enclosing some things that might be of interest. I'm
also copying to
>>> Bill since he's more familiar with these than I am (I
expect he was using
>>> these things in classes at LSU before I got there).
>>>
>>> Here are some citations (an Endnote library with these
citations is
>>> attached
>>> in a zip file. you can probably import from that if you
use other bib
>>> software. I have also included a pdf of the SCIENCE
TEACHING ORIENTATIONS
>>> article -- see top paragraph of p. 221):
>>>
>>> Barr, Robert D., James L. Barth, and S. Samuel Shermis.
Defining the
>>> Social
>>> Studies, Bulletin - National Council for the Social
Studies, #51.
>>> Arlington
>>> VA: National Council for the Social Studies, 1977.
>>> ---. The Nature of the Social Studies. Palm Springs, CA: ETC
>>> Publications,
>>> 1977.
>>>
>>> Flitner, Andreas. "Theories of Adolescence." Paedagogica
Europaea 2,
>>> (1966):
>>> 226-32.
>>>
>>> Friedrichsen, Patricia Meis, and Thomas M. Dana.
"Substantive-Level
>>> Theory
>>> of Highly Regarded Secondary Biology Teachers' Science
Teaching
>>> Orientations." Journal of Research in Science Teaching 42,
no. 2 (2005):
>>> 218-44.
>>>
>>> White, Charles S. "A Validation Study of the Barth-Shermis
Social Studies
>>> Preference Scale." Theory and Research in Social Education
10, no. 2
>>> (1982):
>>> 1-20.
>>>
>>> B, B, & S identified "three traditions" in Social Studies.
White found
>>> teachers' thinking & practice did not line of consistently
with any of
>>> the
>>> traditions, in particular (this is from memory, I haven't
read the White
>>> piece since it first came out. I thought TRSE was supposed
to be
>>> available
>>> on the web with a rolling wall for recent volumes; but I
don't see it.
>>> I'm
>>> sure it's in the LSU library, though. Maybe Bill knows
about Web
>>> availability.)
>>>
>>> I think you're right, descriptively; but I don't come to your
>>> prescriptive
>>> stance. I would argue for educating for competence in the
respective
>>> fields
>>> of praxis, which creates a standpoint for critiquing any
of the
>>> orientations
>>> insofar as they can be shown to fall short of forming
competence in
>>> students. The only valuing that's required for this is the
valuing of
>>> competence. The fact/value dichotomy in general is of course
>>> positivistic.
>>>
>>> Martin recently posted a quote that I see as an example of
one
>>> approach for
>>> making the case for competence:
>>>
>>> " static societies assign to young people a definite place
within the
>>> social
>>> order as it is: young people are given the status of
adults and inherit
>>> their forms of behaviour. This act of taking over may be
brief or
>>> slightly
>>> longer, but the result is clear. Young people are being
fitted into the
>>> existing system of values and orders and thus become
indistinguishable
>>> from
>>> adults. On the other hand, it is the distinguishing mark
of our highly
>>> civilized and individualized society that nothing is
simply handed on and
>>> accepted - it must be understood and affirmed. Within our
civilization
>>> every
>>> young man or woman is systematically encouraged to enter
more or less
>>> profoundly into a debate about the moral values and
intellectual  assets
>>> that determine our order of life. The young woman or man
ought to
>>> comprehend
>>> this form of life, affirm or deny its value, and thus work
out his [or
>>> her]
>>> own position in the world. The psychological crisis of
adolescence is