Re: [xmca] Re: fiction as simulation

Yes it applies to little kids!
I LOVE the Stevenson quote in response to H. James (who seems to have gotten
wrapped up in an odd place in the quote).

Sheila and i were discussing last night the phenomenon of little kids like
to hear the same story read over and over and over and over again and young
teens reading, for example, Lord of the Rings several times.

And adults going to Operas or listening to music they particularly love
repeatedly.

There is an age-related component to these phenomena -- parents go nuts on
the 300th reading of *Where the Wild Things Are* or
*Goodnight Moon*, little kids cannot stand, as a rule, listening to the
Goldberg variations, etc.

Has anyone written about this phenomeon and what means?

Thanks for the *Educated Mind* tip, David C. Sound relevant to ongoing
discussion re goals of education that might guide reform
efforts.

mike