Re: FW: [xmca] bodies and artifacts

Thank you Larry for your summary of the Fonagy et al article.  I have yet
to dive into that one.  I started with the shorter Cole article,
"Phylogeny and cultural history in ontogeny."  I believe that Mike has
done a grand job in providing an explanation as to how seemingly
individual, innate emotions/feelings (the article is not of emotions per
se but could be extrapolated I believe to include emotions) do indeed have
cultural undertones.  Mike does indeed set forth a comprehensive
explanation as to how ". . human culture is constitutive of human
psychological processes."  The first example he points to is the
biological drive the human eye has for scanning the environment and as a
result of being immersed in symbolically rich environments the human brain
has phylogentically developed nueral receptors for the purpose of
recognizing graphic representations.  If anyone watched the Oliver Sack's
TED talk he speaks to the "Bonnet Syndrome" as an overstimulation of these
neural receptors due to lack of use; geometric shapes being the prevailing
halluciantion.

Mike goes on to provide the use of prolepsis (living in past and future
during the present) as a phenomenon that further cultivates the human
brain.  Ultimately Mike concludes that not only over the centuries has the
human brain develeloped via cultural phenomenon but that ontogentically
humans develop increasingly sophisticated methods of utilizing cultural
artifacts based on the introduction of these sophisticated artifacts at an
early age.  Abacus use in Japan and the cross-cultural literacy studies of
Scribner and Cole are example that Mike draws on to emphasize how
phylogeny and cultural history cultivate an individual's ontogeny.

After reading this article I have definitely started viewing emotions in a
different light.  Thank you Mike, I only hope I have done justice in
summarizing, please correct any misinterpretations.

eric

Larry Purss <lpurss@shaw.ca>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
12/15/2009 09:29 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"