Re: [xmca] cultural capital

Michael, the example illustrates well Bourdieu's forms of capital, as you
have elucidated for me. Imposters like the Salahis will eventually be
exposed unless and until they learn to acquire the language, the posture,
the experience of being part of that community. Or would they, but for the
intense curiosity of the mass media?

I'm thinking of revisiting the article by Gratier et al. with perhaps my
understanding of cultural and symbolic capital, and with Jay's article, a
few days late (currently I'm trying to finish a portion of my dissertation).
For now, I'm just thinking that the Bridging Cultures program Gratier et al.
describe seems not so much as increasing the cultural capital of the
teachers (seven bilingual English-Spanish teachers, who received the
training program) as perhaps activating the Hispanic side of their cultural
capital, within their classrooms. The teachers are bilingual and I presume
they are bicultural. Just a thought.

P.S. The story of Liu Ling is part of the book, Shi Shuo Xin Yu, which has
been translated into English:
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=19860
It is, as the website says, "a collection of anecdotes, short conversations,
and pithy observations on personalities who lived in China between about 150
and 420 A.D." Maybe I'd have occasions to pull some information from the
book at future xmca posts. There certainly are many learning opportunities
here; I think I'm sticking around :-)

Yuan