Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

It's not too late to comment on the Learn Act as it would still be part of the renegotiation of ESEA. Some of us are doing that more formally; seems to me that it would be time well spent if u have general and, yet better, specific recs

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2009, at 12:54 PM, "Michael Glassman" <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu> wrote:

Arne Duncan attended to laboratory school at the University of Chicago (the school Dewey and his wife started). "Progressive education for me but not for thee."

Michael

________________________________

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Annmarie Urso
Sent: Sun 12/13/2009 3:35 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

Can you reattach Peter - it isn't opening for some reason.
Thanks.
Annmarie
Annmarie Urso, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Ella Cline Shear School of Education
State University of New York at Geneseo
1 College Circle
South Hall 220D
Geneseo, NY 14454
585-245-5468
fax 585-245-5220
urso@geneseo.edu
http://go.geneseo.edu/urso

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:14 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:

A colleague sent me the attached story just this morning. It seems
that as
Duncan is calling for teachers to go into underperforming schools as
a way
to elevate student performance, he's discouraging teacher ed
programs from
encouraging students to go anywhere but high-SES schools.

Peter Smagorinsky
Professor of English Education
Department of Language and Literacy Education
The University of Georgia
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602
smago@uga.edu