RE: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

Arne Duncan attended to laboratory school at the University of Chicago (the school Dewey and his wife started).  "Progressive education for me but not for thee."

Michael

________________________________

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Annmarie Urso
Sent: Sun 12/13/2009 3:35 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

Can you reattach Peter - it isn't opening for some reason.
Thanks.
Annmarie
Annmarie Urso, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Ella Cline Shear School of Education
State University of New York at Geneseo
1 College Circle
South Hall 220D
Geneseo, NY 14454
585-245-5468
fax 585-245-5220
urso@geneseo.edu
http://go.geneseo.edu/urso

On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:14 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:

> A colleague sent me the attached story just this morning. It seems
> that as
> Duncan is calling for teachers to go into underperforming schools as
> a way
> to elevate student performance, he's discouraging teacher ed
> programs from
> encouraging students to go anywhere but high-SES schools.
>

> Peter Smagorinsky
> Professor of English Education
> Department of Language and Literacy Education
> The University of Georgia
> 125 Aderhold Hall
> Athens, GA 30602
> smago@uga.edu