Re: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

I see 2 issues here:

1. is the general approach to education

2. is the specific concern with infant - preK programs

I'll respond on #1, but I don't want that to eclipse #2

On #1, & Mike's question about Obama & his preoccupations:

Obama has a lot on his plate, and listing the big ones like Pakistan, health care, and the economy necessarily neglects the numerous more narrow things that he himself is involved with every week.

His approach is to compromise, so education policy has followed the big compromise in appointing Duncan as the Secretary of Education.

On that, I think Bill Ayers made a lot of sense, at
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-ayers/obama-and-education-refor_b_154857.html

A less accepting view from the late & much lamented Gerald Bracey, at
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gerald-bracey/the-hatchet-job-on-linda_b_155104.html

For a view from the other side, here's somebody warning against the sinister influence on Obama of the Ayers-Hammond-Billings axis of evil:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gerald-bracey/the-hatchet-job-on-linda_b_155104.html
(That's Darling-Hammond and Ladson-Billings. At one point he does refer to the "Ayers-Hammond approach".))

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, Ayers is now AERA Vice-President for Division B (Curriculum, my own home division).