RE: [xmca] Inappropriate affect

> I would propose substituting "emotion" for "personality" in the above passage as a way of capturing the nature of emotion as a thoroughly social feature of human experience

This is close to the way I think about it. Emotional responses are forms of engagement, and hence culturally mediated. True, there are physiological and genetic antecedents. But the shape these take in both behavior and experience are culturally responsive in ways that are implicated in one's developing persona.

One would have to concede that reflexive responses associated with the autonomic nervous system are not culturally mediated. All living organisms have such reflexes. If you tap the rat's knee (or whatever) it will jerk as surely as will yours or mine. Now suppose you give a hungry rat food. The rat's response (e.g., eat now, or carry away for later) may be conditioned by a variety of environmental factors (e.g., is this a safe place), so the rat is not acting reflexively when eating. Undoubtedly there are feelings associated with whatever decision the rat makes (a sense of security anticipated with respect to chowing-down back in some favored safe place, versus the visceral pleasure of eating now). But becoming a rat of a certain (social) kind is not among the factors impinging on the decision. We might want to say that the rat has a certain "culinary culture" with respect to its eating decisions. But perhaps "culture" is best reserved for factors that impinge on maintaining or developing a persona.

David