Re: [xmca] about emotions

I just revisited Scheff's site after a long interval and I am delighted with his methodological comments in :
http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/faculty/scheff/main.php?id=1.html

* He traces the idea of "unit of analysis" which we know from Vygotsky, not just back to Goethe (where I had got to) but back to Spinoza!

* He uses what he calls "whole/part methods" which I find quite intriguing;

* He talks about the kind of problems Mike has raised about actions-in-context, i.e. cross-cultural research;

* Also likens the problem of understanding action-in-context to the hermeneutic circle.

His stuff about emotion simply arises because he insists on studying cultural and historical problems with the *whole* of the human interactions involved, whereas historical records and studies tend to factor out the emotions. This he rightly disagrees with and tries to rectify.

I think anyone on the list would be interested in this fellow's work. I gather Santa Barbara is not a million miles from San Diego. :)

Andy

Jay Lemke wrote:
I have had Scheff on my reading list for a while, but was away from the right kinds of libraries most of last year.

I'm afraid I just don't see why it's important to list something as a "basic" emotion? That usually just means that someone wants it to count as having academic or intellectual importance, or that they want to link it to our baser animal nature, or that it's a candidate for some sort of biological universal, pre-determined by evolution. All of which agendas give me the creeps!

But I've heard good things about Scheff, so I will get round to him soon.

How about this: there are several hundred "basic" emotions?

In any case, I was thinking of anthropological arguments about "guilt cultures" vs. "shame cultures" and the kind of analysis Achilles was citing from LSV about how feelings, whatever their biological functions or antecdents, get infused and transformed by culture into something a great deal more.

Thanks for the reminder about Scheff!

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093