Re: [xmca] Emotions and Culture

>From Wikipedia:

Many mathematicians derive aesthetic pleasure from their work, and from mathematics in general. They express this pleasure by describing mathematics (or, at
least, some aspect of mathematics) as beautiful. Sometimes mathematicians describe mathematics as an art form or, at a minimum, as a creative activity. Comparisons are often made
with music and poetry. Bertrand Russell expressed his sense of mathematical beauty in these words:
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty ? a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous
trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as
only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the
exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of
the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry.[1]

Here is what Tolstoy wrote about aesthetics in his "What is art?" essay:

We are accustomed to understand art to be only what we hear and see in
theaters, concerts, and exhibitions; together with buildings, statues,
poems, and novels. .. . But all this is but the smallest part of the art by which we communicate with one another in life. All human
life is filled with works of art of every kind?from cradlesong, jest,
mimicry, the ornamentation of houses, dress, and utensib to church
services, buildings, monuments, and triumphal processions. It is all
artistic activity. So that by art, in the limited sense of the word, we do
not mean all human activity transmitting feelings but only that part which
we for some reason select from it and to which we attach special
importance. This special importance has always been given by men to that part of this activity which transmits
feelings flowing from their religious perception, and this small part they
have specifically called art, attaching to it the full meaning of the
word.[12]

Is one of them right and the other wrong?  In the dialectic there is a
place for both opinions.  Does this mean emotions the emotions of
mathematics is different than that emoted from religios experiences?

eriuc

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
12/06/2009 09:38 PM
Please respond to ablunden; Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture,
Activity"