Re: [xmca] IRF pattern

Mark and all,

Yes, it certainly sounds like you are on a productive track with this approach.

The ubiquity of IRE dialogue in classrooms has many contributing factors. Some are ideological, and even once progressive, as for instance the effort to replace lecture by more interaction, despite students' lack of knowledge about the topic to be discussed. Some are based in authority and power relationships as often mentioned. Some are based simply in the fact that in classrooms there is not much else going on except talk; they are activity-poor environments.

Taking learning outside the emptiness of classrooms, into activity- rich and artifact-rich environments, allows students and teachers to DO things together, in the course of which IRE just dwindles because it is not functional for the discursive support of complex activity. Observe teachers and students in a science lab, or on a field trip to a nature preserve, and you find (except for novice or poor teachers) much less IRE and a lot more "authentic dialogue". You can also get this in classrooms if teachers ask students not about textbook knowledge but about students' actual experience.

The case of student-initiated dialogue, which I also discuss in Talking Science, can be a very powerful learning mode for students, but it is much harder to control in terms of curriculum sequencing. One question just leads to another, and the dialogue quickly diverges. I once observed a teacher over an extended period in which he regularly gave time for students to ask him questions. This grew to the point where he could no longer "cover the curriculum", but the students were more excited about learning than I have seen in most classrooms. The mass-education model, in which we expect 30 or more students to all learn the same thing at the same time, also contributes to reliance on IRE. If students are given the initiative in learning, they will not follow parallel paths in groups of that size.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093