Re: [xmca] Communication/social relations/obshenie

The problem with terminology is a tricky one. The understanding of
terminology in Russian Psychology as "communication", "social interaction"
and "Obchenie" is far from being straightforward.

I've tried to investigate the problem of  communication (obchenie) in
Vygotsky's, Leontiev's and so-called neo-Vygotskian research (see below
Rodina (2006)) .

The problem of communication as a social relation (rus. obchenie, German
"Verkehr") is highlighted in the works of A.N. Leontiev, Zaporozhets and
M. Lisina, i.e. the concept of early ontogeny of communication (obchenie)
as a communicative activity (not speech activity as an object of study as
in psycholinguistics). Lisina's theory of early emotional
communication/obchenia as a Leading Acitivity has much in common with
Trevarthen's concept of early inter-subjective communication and
socio-emotional development in early ontogeny. Bodrova & Leong (1996: 51)
could also be mentioned as a contemporary variant of Elkonin's and
Lisina's psychological concept of early emotional communication/obchenia
with Tronick`s (1989) "interactional synchrony".

Lisina's understanding of communication/obchenia as a psychological
category was based on Vygotsky's cultural-historical theory of development
of HMF and Leontiev's activity theory (see for example Lisina, M. (1985)
Child-Adults-Peers: Patterns of Communication. Progress Publishers;
Karpov,Y.(2005). The Neo-Vygotskian Approach to Child Development.
Cambridge University Press; Bodrova, E. & Leong, B.(1996). Tools of the
Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education. Prentice-Hall,
Inc., pp. 50-55; Rodina, K. (2006).The Neo-Vygotskian Approach to Early
Communication: A Cultural-Historical and Activity based Concept of
Ontogeny. Nordic Psychology,Vol.58, No.4, 331-354).

Katarina

On Sat, November 21, 2009 17:22, mike cole wrote:
> " Since communication is the precise measure of the possibility of
social
> organization, of good understanding among men (sic), relations that are
beyond its range are not truly social..
> GH Cooley, 1894.
>
> for Cooley, like Pierce, "mind is made concrete in culture."

Katarina A. Rodina
Research Fellow (PhD)/Logoped,MNLL
Department of Special Needs Education,
University of Oslo, P.O.Box 1140 Blindern,
NO-0318 Oslo, Norway
Phone: +47 41 108 408/Fax:  +47 22 85 80 21
E-mail: katarina.rodina@isp.uio.no
http://staffdirectory.uv.uio.no/singleview/v1/index.php?user=katja
http://katarinarodina.blogspot.com/

Head of Russo-Norwegian Academic Relations,
The Vygotsky Institute of Psychology/RSUH