Re: [xmca] Seeking help with Vygotsky translation

If asked for the dominant translation, communication would be my
translation, David. Work of mine using the word communication has been
translated using obshenie repeatedly in Russian. Of course, that
brings us to a point you do not explicitly raise. What does communication
mean in English in .....1830/1930/1950/2009? In England, the US and
elsewhere. The complex transformations of the word's dominant meanings in
different discourses has been changing
(I am at present teaching a course on the "history of communication" and the
issue is ever before us).

Relevant here, as well, is the point made by Suppes, emphasized by
D'Andrade, and appropriated by me in various contexts that defintions are
often/always covertly theories.

Seems like its a term ripe for a systematic comparative treatment. Who
knows, perhaps friend Boris Mescheryakov, who interests himself in such
issues, will help us out!!
mike

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Bella Kotik-Friedgut <bella.kotik@gmail.com