From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Vadeboncoeur [vadebonc@interchange.ubc.ca]
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:09 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Emotions and methodology

Mabel and Martin,

A colleague and I are finishing up a paper
looking at SEL programs and we've also used
Martin's (2001) piece, The problem of transfer,
and the sociocultural critique of schooling in
the Journal of the Learning Sciences to think
through ontology, the production of positions for
identities, and the role of schooling in the
process of "producing" certain kinds of
"outcomes" for children and youth. The "purpose
of schooling" is a central issue to (all of) our
work, and one that surfaced at AERA several years
ago as well.

Nel Noddings work may help in a tangential way,
because she is concerned as well with creating a
school context that addresses the whole person-a
person with cognitive, affective, social
abilities and relationships. She has challenged
folks like Cohen of the Center for Social and
Emotional Education, recently, to think through
changes in school climate on a broader and more
relational level.

Best - jennifer