Re: [xmca] Arne Raeithel's "genealogy"

That's a very helpful addition to the diagram, Andy. Makes it more useful.
Thanks.

Peter

             Andy Blunden
             <ablunden@mira.ne
             t>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
             xmca-bounces@webe         <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
             r.ucsd.edu                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/11/2009 01:18          Re: [xmca] Arne Raeithel's
             AM                        "genealogy"

             Please respond to
             ablunden@mira.net
             ; Please respond
              "eXtended Mind,
                 Culture,
                 Activity"
             <xmca@weber.ucsd.
                   edu>

   http://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/Genealogy-CHAT.htm

I replaced the PDF with an HTML version, which gives you
little 50-word summaries of what each contributed to CHAT
(when you hover) and a link to their Wikipedia page (when
you click).

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
> Andy, thinking on this a bit further, it seems to me that these diagrams
> are trying to do two different things at the same time. One is to
> provide helpful contextual information to anyone reading LSV's texts. I
> think this itself is a valuable enterprise, one that compensates a
> little for the minimal teaching of the history of the discipline in
> psychology, at least. A diagram serving this purpose need go no further
> towards the present than the end of Vygotsky's life. And for this the
> lines to and from Vygotsky himself would be redundant; he would be
> connected to everyone.
>
> A second task, and a distinct one in my view, would be a diagram
> indicating forms of, and influences on, CHAT today. Here people like
> Helmholtz and Fichte would, I think, not play a role - their influence
> would be entirely mediated by LSV. And such a diagram would be more
> detailed about the present: for example, the last row of your diagram is
> almost exclusively people working in the US; it would be helpful to see
> here Scandinavian, German, British, etc. schools of CHAT.
>
> I'm not volunteering you for the work (nor do I have time to do it
> myself), just trying to think through the role of this kind of
> representational reconstruction of intellectual history.
>
> Martin
>

> On Nov 9, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is mind-boggling. Probably better for people to produce a
>> multiplicity of different perspectives, than try to produce a master
>> view. There are so many angles!
>>
>> Lewin is interesting. Not only was he close to the Frankfurt School,
>> but he also worked with Vygotsky, and I suspect this is where Vygotsky
>> got a lot of his Hegel from.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Martin Packer wrote:
>>> Andy, I think the map is interesting and useful. But how about this.
>>> I was exploring further on the virtual library that I mentioned in a
>>> prior message. It turns out there's quite a lot there in English, not
>>> only German. I had been enjoying myself browsing through scans of the
>>> papers of Carl Stumpf, who was teacher of both Kurt Lewin and Edmund
>>> Husserl. Teacher-student seems to me one important connection between
>>> figures. Lewin apparently had regular contact with the Frankfurt
>>> School (connection of 'colleague') before leaving for the US, where
>>> he would have found himself transplanted into the new milieu of
>>> behaviorism.
>>> I think Mike is right, we need 3D!
>>> Martin

what