Re: [xmca] The Ubiquity of Unicorns: conversation

Eric. (not sure if this is a part of a conversation or only stringing out of
words).

The best source on combined motor method is Nature of Human Conflicts. The
short form is in the Autobio of A.R. Luria.

This may have been translated into the language of reflexes later as a means
of self preservation, I do not recall such, but it DID become part of a
bitter fight involving Pavolians, perhaps discussed in the Handbook of
Soviet Psych.

My own take is that the key was to combine voluntary actions in a
coordinated system involving language as one component; the actions
combined could be, for example, holding one hand still and squeezing a bulb
with another. Once these were coordinated in response to a variety of (say)
words, a particular word, which the investigator had reason to believe the
subject did NOT want to react to unusually, but really had reason to hide
any special relation to (such as blood of a person he had killed that got on
his handkerchief) was introduced to see if it caused
the *selective disruption* of the previously coordinated actions.

This method was used in a variety of ways including criminal investigations,
which gave ARL a rep as an inventor of the lie detector,
but the motivation was of general theoretical import about the conditions
under which one could know what another person was thinking.

It has been, without attribution, using the same logic, used for purposes
as broad as figuring out what sorts of thing a newborn baby does and does
not respond to differentially and what in particular a child does not
understand about how to read.

How it fits into the discussion of utterances as units of analysis beats
me!!
mike