Re: [xmca] The Ubiquity of Unicorns: conversation

I am sure it is, Mike, probably the main way.

Can we say that speech "evokes" something?? and what something depends on the level of development of the mind/behavior of the individual. For a child at the stage of speech just beginning to turn inwards we can't talk of speech evoking concepts, but it could evoke sensuous images. But more importantly it seems that Kathy Nelson-type scripts, or Merlin Donald-type episodes might be the relevant elementary units of consciousness and behavior at work here.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Andy-- Is private speech another way of controlling ourselves from the outside?
mike