From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sun 11/1/2009 11:39 PM
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [POSSIBLE SPAM] Re: [xmca] guess who

Interesting what you say about Dewey and his use of the word
"experience". I had thought it was an unfortunate choice of
word myself. If you can source that quote, I'd be
interested, Michael.

On Meadiation. Reading him _with Vygotskian eyes_, there is
mediation in Mead, archetyically, the gesture. It impossible
to communicate otherwise. But my reading of Mead and his
present-day interpreters is that Mead didn't see it that
way. He tended to see it like you say: "it is the activity
that controls the communication" not the mediating elements.

You remarks, Michael, about there being no "inside the head"
also show why the label "social behaviorism" is not entirely
misplaced. But the words Mike highlighted in red: "In giving
a behavioristic statement of consciousness ..." show how
contradictory this can be. Absent the emphasis on gestures
and it's hard to disagree with anything in the quote Mike gave.

I do think Mead is much richer than his philosophical
foundations seem to suggest. His I/Me dialectic is still the
best rendering of Hegel's psychology you'll find anywhere, I
think. Others can only follow.

Andy

<<winmail.dat>>