Re: [xmca] Will California become America's first failed state? | World news | The Observer

No way! New York beat California to it in the 1970s. I remember being furloughed, New York City bankrupt. The city taken over politically by a committee of bankers (really!) appointed by the governor. Of course it was not the State in bankruptcy (on a technicality, I think; the state is ultimately responsible for the debts of its cities), but it was sure a failed state by many measures!

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct)
Educational Studies