Re: [xmca] Re: Mediation AND monism

Forgive me, even I'm getting tired. Let me have another go.

About 400 years ago a project was initiated by Copernicus, Galileo and Descartes. We continue that project. As Mike is fond of saying: "We stand on the shoulders of giants."

The first thing that had to be established by this project was the categorical distinction between thought (a.k.a. Faith, Scripture, Reason, Spirit, Soul, Consciousness) and matter (a.k.a. Nature, God). Each of the writers mentioned did so in their own unique way.

In the 400 years since, despite "branching" into a myriad of different projects, the project (science) continues. The movement is characterized by the question which was the central problem for one generation, giving way to a new question for the next generation. But the former problematic is not abolished and thrown away, but taken up into the new problematic.

People are rightly concerned with solving the problem of how to explain consciousness, how to build a science of consciousness. But this does not and cannot be done by ignoring the gains of the 17th century, namely, that there is a categorical difference between consciousness and something else, which is not consciousness, which lies behind that.

Kant called that other Jenseits or "thing-in-itself" while the subject was a "transcendental subject", both utterly lacking in content (well almost).

Kant was right, but this also did not form a starting point for science. It was his way of laying the question to the side and moving on. That's what Hegel did. But at the expense of taking everything, even Nature, as spirit, i.e., thought forms. Marx chose not to be a philosopher, but the question does not go away.

I learnt my Marxism in the late 60s, I read "Materialism and Empirio-Criticism" in the mid-70s and Ilyenkov in the early 80s, so I admit, I have been taking this for granted. It never occurred to me that people today are happy to equate consciousness and matter, or at least say that the distinction is "relative." A new generation has arrived. I am at a loss how to explain what the problem is with denying the categorical difference between consciousness and matter. I can now see why Lenin felt he had to write a whole book on it 100 years ago!

But this issue was far, far from my mind when I wrote the Paper for Discussion. I wrote this about 2 years ago. It was rejected by the first journal I submitted it to and also by the second. But I appealed to the editor in the second case and eventually with the necessary revisions, it was agreed that the paper should be published. That took 2 years. And in the meantime I have been offered a contract to write it up in 100,000 words. But this book is nothing to do with the issues discussed in the recent debate.

Andy
(in the confidence that you the reader exists outside of my thoughts)

Andy Blunden wrote:
Your first point is true David. I thought about it myself before writing the offending statement. Really Hegel had the only solution: "Being is", but even then, he had the whole of the Phenomenology to mediate the first statement of the Logic. I was just trying to explain.

The rest of your post I can't understand David, so I will again simply sign off with Ilyenkov's words:

"'Consciousness' ... is the most general concept which can only be defined by clearly contrasting it with the most general concept of 'matter', moreover as something secondary, produced and derived. Dialectics consists in not being able to define matter as such; it can only be defined through its opposite, and only if one of the opposites is fixed as primary, and the other arises from it."

Andy

David Kellogg wrote:
a) Andy says "consciousness is what is given to us". How is the "us" given to us? For consciousness to be given to "us", don't we need an "us" first? And isn't this "us" that is given to us actually emergent through phylogenetic and then sociogenetic and then finally ontogenetic change? (I don't think the word "emergent" is any more vacuous than the word "evolved", and in many ways it is actually more descriptive, particularly since "evolution" has acquired a meaning which is frequently opposed to revolutionary change.) b) In my profession, a lot of abstract stuff comes to us in exactly the "reified" form that Andy talks about in his paper for discussion where he says that the worker experiences labor as making a "living" and the capitalist as "making profit" but objectively it is reified as yarn. For example, I have on my desk a text which purports to teach English words like "can" and "your" through the use of pictures! I just sat through a two hour lunch with other members of the department where we discussed the furniture of the new "English Zone" in the department and the bookcases and the website and so on but never once touched on what is now known rather ridiculously as "content" (it appears that for the "Conversation Clinic" there will be no content at all, only furniture). Isn't this reification as much a proof of monism as the historical, evolutionary nature of consciousness? David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education