Re: [xmca] Can the Right Kinds of Play Teach Self-Control?

Thanks to the pointer to Zemblyas, Nancy!

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

On Sep 28, 2009, at 6:41 AM, Nancy Mack wrote:

I think Jay raises excellent points about intention, motivation, and emotional labor.

Since I have worked a great deal with preservice and inservice teachers, I have seen that sharing an effective teaching strategy is never enough. The best of intentions can end up as an oppressive practice. Instead, when teachers know more about theory and their role as theory builders, they can develop a theory-practice continuum that is both effective and meaningful. Of course, we all need to see our students as theory builders who need meaningful work in which to learn.

It is a control issue. I appreciated the point about self regulation being the development of mental processes versus just being able to stand in line without poking one's neighbor.

My self regulation in my later years is a lot like Jay's in which I am thinking about how our large institutions require constant assessment and thwart meaningful engagement and critical thought.

I have been interested in the scholarship on emotional labor, particularly Teaching with Emotion: A Postmodern Enactment by Michalinos Zembylas. When working with groups that have been marginalized and oppressed, it takes a great deal of critical thinking not to work in service of the hegemonic institutional forces.

So, long story short, I am in favor of self regulation that includes critical thought and meaningful engagement.

Nancy Mack

English Department
Wright State University

http://www.wright.edu/~nancy.mack