Re: [xmca] Consciousness: Ilyenkov Epistemology Quiz

Well, a couple of good things have come out of this discussion so far Victor. (1) No-one has proposed that consciousness does not exist and (2) Everyone goes to great length to avoid dichotomies of any kind. This would never have been the case a few years ago, or I suspect on any other list. But we seem to have the opposite problem.

You say that "Matter is a broad generalization regarding a state of being (unconscious of course) while consciousness concerns a broad range of activities all of which concern communication." This is not too bad, but I could criticize it. I presume you are not excluding self-directed thoughts? And if consciousness includes "a broad range of activities" does that mean that consciousness is a type of activity? What is the relation between activity and consciousness then?

Andy

Victor wrote:
Andy,

That was quick!

The point of my argument regarding the “nature” of tools was not that they are material and ideal, but that their materiality and ideality is a function of the mode of activity in which they are used. When we talk, write, or otherwise communicate information about them or through them they are necessarily ideal, when we use them to enhance our capacity to transform material conditions to satisfy our needs, they are material, i.e. the subjects of sensation rather than of rational consciousness. The dichotomy is not in the objects, but in the ways we use them which are of course a function of our objectives regarding their use.

As I indicated in my first communication the distinction between consciousness and matter is a combination of categories, the referents of which are too disparate to suffer pairing. Matter is a broad generalization regarding a state of being (unconscious of course) while consciousness concerns a broad range of activities all of which concern communication. Matter pairs well with spirit or essence, as EVI deftly demonstrates in his article on the Ideal and Vygotsky in his discourse on thought and speech in Thought and Language.

A search for an appropriate contrapositive to consciousness that is more or less analogous to the role of matter in the matter-essence dichotomy would be sensation. Sensation, not in the purely passive sense of reception of stimuli, but in the fuller sense used by Marx is his passage in Capital describing labour activity.

Labour is, in the first place, a process in which both man and Nature participate, and in which man of his own accord starts, regulates, and controls the material re-actions between himself and Nature. He opposes himself to Nature as one of her own forces, setting in motion arms and legs, head and hands, the natural forces of his body, in order to appropriate Nature's productions in a form adapted to his own wants. By thus acting on the external world and changing it, he at the same time changes his own nature. He develops his slumbering powers and compels them to act in obedience to his sway…. At the end of every labour-process, we get a result that already existed in the imagination of the labourer at its commencement. He not only effects a change of form in the material on which he works, but he also realises a purpose of his own that gives the law to his modus operandi, and to which he must subordinate his will. And this subordination is no mere momentary act. Besides the exertion of the bodily organs, the process demands that, during the whole operation, the workman's will be steadily in consonance with his purpose. This means close attention. The less he is attracted by the nature of the work, and the mode in which it is carried on, and the less, therefore, he enjoys it as something which gives play to his bodily and mental powers, the more close his attention is forced to be.

Considering that tools and most other things fit equally well the categories of sensation or consciousness we should be able to describe the what’s when’s and how’s they are moved between them. Marx’s description of the labour process exactly describes this movement between activity informed by consciousness and by sensation that comprises human labour.

Less than a week ago I would have argued that the existence of a material world outside of and independent of human consciousness is evidenced by the ontological precedence of sensation over consciousness, however two or three days ago I came across a number of articles etc. treating the issue of the relation between classical and quantum physics, and as you put it “the nature of that world? Well that is a different matter altogether”.

Victor Friedlander 28 09 2009

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>