Re: [xmca] Can the Right Kinds of Play Teach Self-Control?

For related work, one might see Vivan Gussin Paley's book "The boy who would
be a helicopter: The uses of storytelling in the classroom." (1990, Harvard
U. Press, ISBN 0-674-08031-9)

It's not particularly "academic," but offers a pretty powerful case study of
a method that strikes me as awfully similar to what Leong and Bodrova are
doing.  Paley's focus is on stories that the children write and then
dramatize together, and the focus for behavior is on the constraints of a
dramatic role.  If you're the daddy in the scenario, you can't throw a
temper tantrum, and if you're the helicopter, you can only enter the story
space when your peers agree that a helicopter rescue is needed.

Elia