Re: [xmca] Consciousness

Andy,

LSV's point was not that Cs is only an appearance, quite the contrary. Cs is real; but the subjective is an appearance. He criticizes phenomenologists such as Husserl precisely for considering Cs as merely appearance.

Definitions of Cs?: Well, LSV cites Marx: “‘My relationship to my environment’, says Marx, ‘is my consciousness’” And I think a good definition of Cs *would* have to capture the way that it is constantly moving, transforming itself into what it was not.

You ask, "Are you saying that there is *no* meaning whatsoever which is not social? " First, we're talking about being, not about meaning. But yes, all that is real is 100% social. And 100% material. Latour has an excellent article bemoaning the way that 'socially constructed' or 'socially produced' has come to seem to mean unreal, flimsy, easy to change, "only in our consciousness." As he points out, a building is socially produced, and it is substantial, real, material, and objective. Wasn't this a central point of Marx's analysis, to point out the social construction of commodities, the worker, capital, et al.? Labor is a social process that produces various kinds of real things.

Andy, you are drawing now not only a categorical distinction between consciousness and matter, but a distinction between reality and existence. Is this distinction categorical too? Appearances exist, but they are not real? I'm a bit confused.

Martin