Re: [xmca] on the learning sciences, constructionism, and technological determinism

Thanks Andy for a hake of a story on false positives in fmri studies. There
is a lot to be cautious about. What sort of blows me over at times are
studies such as those on expert abacus users that find, for example, that
you get lots of action in the right parietal and related areas when they are
calculating away with their mental abacuses. So? Every theoretician since
Lashley would say that such processing happens there for that kind of visual
task. They would drop dead if they did not see see such activation. But
instead, when its there, its suddenly more real than the amazing sums such
people can calculate with the arms folded.

And Jennifer, who on earth would lead you think you cannot bridge between
this discussion of artifact construction and mediation and media studies!
You have one proud graduate of the IU psych department here who is a senior
member of a communication department and who is perfectly happy to discuss
such matters.

Don't let people scare you with the ghost of McLuhan's excesses!! Be of
stout heart. And give us a reference for Clay Shirky.

Is a noob an apprentice youst2b? No pain, no gain?
:-)
mike