RE: [xmca] From Keith Sawyer on learning sciences

Mike,

Thanks for bringing in Keith's authoritative voice.

I think there is a natural way in which socioculturalists are in
sympathy with learning sciences goals. Both are interested in dealing
with learning in a full-bodied way that honors the complexity of the
full human being. And I suppose it is a kind of good news that
Vygotskyan scholarship is considered fundamental to the LS effort. But
the differences of purpose may be more significant than the
commonalities. Learning scientists are interested in managing
theoretical heterogeneity. As you pointed out earlier, the
methodological co-development of "design experimentation" is an
important window into the learning sciences. Missing from LS is the
central effort toward theoretical synthesis that characterizes
sociocultural psychology.

This raises broader questions about the status of these enterprises as
socio-historical movements. The sociocultural movement, broadly
considered, is a scientific search for explanation--well, perhaps we
aren't quite deeply enough determined by data to be a science--maybe a
blend of science and philosophy. The status of LS is more ambiguous.
Perhaps "applied science" would be the correct rubric. Perhaps a
postmodern variant of science. Or perhaps an (unwitting?) hegemonic
extension of cognitive psychology.

It really is unclear the extent to which the computational metaphor
remains central to LS, particularly when the status of the enterprise is
unclear--perhaps ambiguous. In Keith's construal, computation is just
one of the orienting theoretical tools. But as Martin noted a couple of
days ago:

"further Googling discloses 'three principles [of the New Science of
Learning] to guide the study of human learning across a range of areas
and ages: learning is computational- ...; learning is social-...; and
learning is supported by brain circuits linking perception and action.'
I suppose two out of three aint bad, but the fact that the first is
first speaks volumes."

David Kirshner