Re: [xmca] Piano teaching (musical education) according to Vygotskian theory

Well, as far as I know the Suzuki method makes no explicit reference
to Vygotsky, but it is heavily invested in parental scaffolding as far
as encouraging parents to do ear training alongside of their young
children, sit and practice with the children, etc.  Traditional Suzuki
music training also requires the children to attend group lessons,
thereby learning from their peers as well as from the instructor.  I
imagine that resources for Suzuki parents (and there are many, as can
be seen from a quick google) will have a good deal that is pertinent
for someone teaching music from a Vygotskian perspective.

I've never considered the two in parallel before, but now that it's
here, I'm intrigued.  If you find anything else on Vygotsky and music,
please share.

Elia

Elia J. Nelson, nelsoe3@rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute