Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

Geraldine,
Personally, I think it is a hopeless task to take a complex process like "consciousness" and draw an absolute line between consciousness and not-consciousness; there are always higher and lower forms. Drawing the animal/human line is just as difficult. There is a process around the use of artefacts which is associated with the characteristically human forms of consciousness, but while recognizing the absolutly distinctive nature of *this* kind of activity, we cannot then still draw a sharp line.

that's how I see it anyway,
Andy

geraldine.mcdonald@clear.net.nz wrote:
Dear Andy, Mike and others Please forgive me if this issue has already been dealt with.
In his study "The origin of intelligence in the child" in
which Piaget studied his own three children from birth he
stated that he was studying behaviour uncontaminated by
"training, apprenticeship or chance". His observations
ceased at the sixth stage of practical intelligence, the
invention of new means through mental combinations. In his
study of the babies' actions on objects he identified
behaviour which he interpreted as mental representation of
problems which the children wished to solve. When Lucien
failed to retrieve a toy using a familiar action - probably
pulling on his blanket - he invented a new way to get the
toy. Piaget thought that this behaviour marked the beginning
of consciousness and that it involved reflection on contents
of mind. If so it is one that higher animals can achieve.
The situations P. described certainly involved cultural
artefacts in the form of things like toys and blankets but
these were used in a way determined by the baby rather than
the artefacts.
Perhaps Piaget's "consciousness" needs another name. What
appears most striking is the change in the character of
consciousness once language comes into use. Geraldine McDonald ----- Original Message Follows -----
Well, as I see it, we can't have joint artifact-mediated action as the unit of analysis for thinking, and then have something different for a thought-form or unit of social life or whatever ...

Andy

Mike Cole wrote:
sounds like paraphrase of Sfard to me. But still reading
and thinking. mike

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Andy Blunden