Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

Mike Cole wrote:
One of these is her suggestion that a concept is " a word or other signifier
WITH ITS DISCURSIVE USE (my emphasis). That complicates identifying words
and concepts and moves us toward a Wittgensteinian notion of word meaning.

My take is that a concept is a word (or phrase or other symbol) + the actions in which it is realized, so it is constantly re-instantiated every time a word is used. The artifact is just the universal. A concept is not real or alive until the universal is identified with particular actions by individuals. Think of the Rossetta stone. Under what circumstances were those hieroglyphs concepts?

Peirce had things to say about this.

Andy

I also think that reading the Davydov materials posted by Andy is important
because VVD was quite critical of Vygotsky's notion of concept.

Indeed, this discussion is extremely important. Give me another 24 hours. ...