Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

Haydi-- Animals are conscious, but human consciousness, by my interpretation
(you read the paper arguing for the tripartate nature of
human consciousness that accompanied my note?) human consciousness, being
culturally mediated, has an "extra layer" of constraints and associated
affordances.

Interesting about elephants and the mirror test, Tony.

So we can argue that elephants have self recognition. Is this
self-consciousness? Do they experience false consciousness? I am not
intrigued enough to add to my stack of books as i prepare to teach history
of the discipline (sic!) of communication and an integrative senior seminar.
Enough that i just completed *Daniel Doronda*, but now must turn to the zo
zerious matters of academe as my colleagues plot
strikes aimed at restoring Univ of California to its pre-reagan glory.
mike