From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Sent: Thu 9/3/2009 11:51 AM
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Project Based Learning

Hey Andy:

I have been in schools that utilize this and have seen mixed results. When
a very powerful PTA assists in the organization of a project and parents
spend their time tying up loose ends I have seen $25,000 playgrounds
built!  Students were incorporated into the project in various ways and
then they earned school credits based on portfolios that documented both
their participation as well as the progress of the project.  I have also
seen gardens become overgrown and left untended.

Here is a great website that provides insight into a specific project
based learning initiative:

http://www.urbanboatbuilders.org/

A very worthwhile endeavor for helping to build social skills, teamwork
and a sense of craftmanship.

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
09/03/2009 10:26 AM
Please respond to ablunden; Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture,
Activity"