RE: [xmca] Types of Generalization in Instruction: Logical andPsychological Problems in the Structuring of School Curricula., V.V.Davydov 1.4Mb

Thank you Andy and Steve!

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Steve Gabosch
Sent: 03 September 2009 12:40 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Types of Generalization in Instruction: Logical
andPsychological Problems in the Structuring of School
Curricula.,V.V.Davydov 1.4Mb

Kudos again to Andy for the hard work of scanning and editing still
another well-needed book in the CHAT literature.  As for what I did,
Andy gives me too much credit.  He sent me the original text-scans and
I highlighted some of the inevitable glitches and errors that jumped
out at me as I eyeballed the text - hardly a real proofreading job.  I
am sure there are many pesky machine errors that I missed.  Also,
Andy's text-scanning was especially well done on this book, so the
text-scanning glitches in general were more sparse than they sometimes
can be.

Am I correct that this is the first of two books by Davydov available
in English?

This one, Types of Generalization in Instruction: Logical and
Psychological Problems in the Structuring of School Curricula, was
originally published in Russian in 1972, and first published in
English in 1990 - yes?

The other, Problems of Developmental Instruction, was originally
published in Russian in 1986 and has just been translated into English
by Peter Moxhay in 2009 - yes?

- Steve

On Sep 3, 2009, at 1:36 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:

> Attached is a complete copy of Davydov's book on teaching
> mathematics. It has all his thoughts on the formation of concepts,
> all the problems of units of analysis and so on. It's 225 pages and
> 1.34Mb.
>
> I've spent my time scanning it, so I can't comment on the content,
> but it looks jiucy! I have to thank Steve Gabosch who has proofed
> the first 7 chapters for us. )Apologies Steve, I have not corrected
> the References, with all those Russian names!!) Wertsch mentioned a
> quote from this book which I was so anxious to see in context, it
> was worth the effort.
>
> This text is provided for non-commercial private use. It would be
> great to have a discussion about it, once people have had a chance
> to discuss it. I've been dying to get my hands on something by
> Davydov and Mike kindly provided me with a copy of this book from
> his own bookshelf so that we can share it. It's actually a good
> translation I think.
>
> Andy
>

> --

05:50:00