[xmca] Thurgood Marshall, Cesar Chavez: "not models for citizenship" (re: Texas social studies standards)

This is off-topic, but I know some on this list will be interested.

Here's what new Texas State Board Chair has to say about why Thurgood Marshall and Cesar Chavez don't deserve emulation, and should be demoted from their present position in the state's social studies standards:

"Marshall and Chavez are "not particularly known for their citizenship," Lowe said. "Figures we use to represent those character ideals (citizenship, patriotism and community involvement) and the type of persons we want your students to emulate should be politically neutral."

Links for the article, related matters, and the current drafts for revised Texas standards can be found at:
http://curricunet.net/2009/08/18/lowe-standards-social-studies/

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK  DE  19716