Re: [xmca] When does an action begin and end?

I'll look in my Dewey and see what I can find. Then there's the internet which has lots of Dewey.

It occurred to me that Bakhtin's utterance is delimited by turn-taking, and this is quite a nice definition for a pragmatic theory of social interaction etc. And then I realized that Vygotsky's conception seems to be very elastic on this point. Word-meaning shorter and much more cognitivist, the 'double stimulation experiments' more like Bakhtin's turn-taking, but the child development stuff much more open ended. And then 'activity' carries this connotation of being on-going and not delimited, which gives it quite different implications I think.

And I certainly go with Im Anfang war der Tat.
Andy

Mike Cole wrote:
Some time before it ends, Andy?
For sure I recommend that you take a look at Dewey's early critique of the reflex arc concept in dealing with
this issue. Which was in the beginning, anyway, the word or the deed?
mike