Re: [xmca] FW: New PhD comic for 08/05/09!

While I agree that academia has a lot to learn from the open source movement, there's one important feature of the open source movement that bears consideration. The big difference between the open source software movement and efforts toward scientific progress is that the open source movement is built on what Clay Shirky calls the "failure for free" model. At SourceForge.net, an enormous collection of open source projects available for download, the most popular projects have been downloaded millions of times, but three-quarters of the projects hosted at SourceForge have never been downloaded at all. Not even once. For every Linux, it seems, there are a thousand GNOME Bulgarias.

But this is not only fine with the open source movement, it's actually the foundational premise that makes projects like Linux possible. Shirky writes this: "open systems lower the cost of failure, they do not create biases in favor of predictable but substandard outcomes, and they make it simpler to integrate the contributions of people who contribute only a single idea."

Because of the high-stakes nature of scholarly research and publishing (layered over by the increased pressures of securing funding during an economic recession), there's no room for such a large window of failure. Embracing the open source ethos means embracing the failure for free approach--it means, at its most extreme, a full reconsideration of the tenure process.

I'd emphasize, too, a significant difference between open source and open access. The open source community is populated by people who want to make solid, usable (if in constant development) final products-- openness, in other words, is intended for the developer and not necessarily the user. In the open access movement, there is no fundamental difference between developer and user of the products-- researchers and academics are fundamentally always (potentially) both. Indeed, the open access movement supports the effort to break down the barrier between developer (the person or people who conducted and published the research) and the user (other academics and researchers who value the published research).

Of course, this is all quite easy for me to say, as a beginning academic who's years away from anything resembling tenure review. I imagine the stakes go up significantly when it starts to matter more. Though I guess that's really the point, isn't it?

jenna

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Candidate of Awesome
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://jennamcwilliams.blogspot.com
http://remediatingassessment.blogspot.com
~