Re: [xmca] Re: Vygotsky and Saussure and Whorf and language, and culture

Seems like this is the critical point for discussion, Greg:

Does Vygotsky's ideology of language (whether expressed by
LSV or those to follow) have some way to account for this
critical feature of semiosis (i.e, indexicality)? And if
not, then is it compatible with such a theory?
(and, of course, a failing here is not a serious blow to
Cultural Historical Activity Theory, it simply points to a
blind spot that suggests adding a compatible theory).

Darned if i know. What is Vygotsky's "ideology of language?" Does he ever
use the term?
Or do we want to turn to Voloshinov, or.....??? David Kg? You have been
reading a lot here,
can you help?

Gotta read the Goffman article (gotta find it first). The issue of recipient
design in talk seems really important as well as the situated,
double sidedness of emotion, like the little kid who stops crying when he
discovers his mother is not there to hear him. All all of the
phenomena we are talking about are goint "inside out" and "outside in"
simultaneously, albeit at different rates and different
intensities. And, as David Kg has noted, a lot of the inside/outside talk is
metaphorical and, i fear, the metaphors are befogging our
understanding.

Re the Luria observations. A lot of ink has been spilled on this, but one
finding I came across recently
is by Li, Zhang, and Nisbett (2004) who report that college students at
Beijing university were most likely to carry out  Luria-style categorization
tasks that pit taxonomic vs functional categorizaion FUNCTIONALLY. Of
course, they argue this
is because of the Chinese students' contextualist orientation, not because
of their lack of education or involvement in industrialized
society. One can make up a lot of stories about these kinds of studies --
too many.

mike... still trying to sort it out (metaphorically speaking)