Re: [xmca] Influence

Yes but ... David referred to this. As far as I can see all the biographers of Vygotsky get this idea from the same source, Semyon Dobkin's interview in Karl Levitin's book. We have to go there and make our own mind up about what it means. And the only other evidence is reading what Vygotsky says in his published writings.

In my opinion, neither of these sources lad one to believe that he actually read Hegel.

Did anyone ever read Thor Hayerdal's "Kontiki" about how everyone insisted that balsa wood sank in water. He tried it. It didn't sink. Turned out that one writer had said but this without trying it, and everyone repeated what that one author had said, and it became an established fact.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
This is my favorite:

"[Vygotsky] presided over local Jewish history study circle (where he met Hegel)"

 From "Time line of Lev Vygotsky's Life":

 <http://inst.usu.edu/~mimi/courses/6260/theorists/Vygotsky/vygotime.html>

I've often wondered what Hegel was doing during the early 20th century. Apparently he was studying history in Russia! I wonder what he and LSV talked about.

Martin