Re: [xmca] Language, meaning and culture.

Please read these writings on how language creates culture and let me know what you think of it. There is much redundancy here, some intentional and most because of editing shortcomings. I suggest that you read the LAST TWO Paragraphs First. I just wrote them and they seem to be more succinct.

		Joseph Gilbert  805-646-7686

Language functions, in human society, as the generator of culture. By the effects on us of the

sounds we utter, we inform ourselves of the effects on us of the things which make up our

world. Since the only sense of the meaning of any thing is one and the same as the effect

on us of the thing, and since we relate to our world through our words, language informs us

of the meaning of things. This informing takes place when we use words to refer to things.

We are born into a language-using group and learn the meaning of our world simply by

learning our group’s language.

We have a distinct and unique reaction to each vocal sound just as we do to each

facial expression and postural position. All forms of body language, postural, facial and

vocal, are expressions of states of our internal goings-on and are born of feeling/emotional

states. and receate these states by resonant identification.

The languages we humans speak currently are the results of the experiential

contribution of our ancestors. However they, (our distant relatives), felt about whatever they

had words for, we now feel again in the present moment, when we utter the words they

uttered. Therefore language functions somewhat as a seed: the experience of past

peoples was represented in the words they spoke and now, when we voice those words,

we re-experience what they did.

So, language is institutionalized perception. How we, as a society, perceive our

world, is formed by the vocal sounds, a form of body language, we use to refer to the

things that make it up.

	Our actions are determined by our perceptions. If we want to change

the way we act we must change the way we perceive our world. And we can change how

we perceive our world by changing how we refer to the things that constitute our world.

The feelings/emotions of actors on stage and of all of us are communicated by our

actions. The way someone walks tells us much about how they feel. Our face conveys

voluminous and subtle information about our emotional state. The sound of our voice

carries emotional content. And, although we normally are not aware of it, the acticulate vocal

sounds, (the sounds of our vowells and consonants), are loaded with emotional/feeling-

based information. The information that comes from the articulate sounds of our words is the

same no matter what mood we may be experiencing while we speak. That aspect of

information conveyance is institutionalized/standardized. The tone of voice, cadence, and

volume dynamics are unique to each situation.

One can experience the effect on ourselves of the various vocal sounds by, while in

a sensitive, receptive mode, saying those sounds out loud and sensing their effects. I have

done that and have, it seems, discovered their meanings. You can do that also.

This stealth function of language must be brought to light if we would be able to

understand the importance of recreating culture. We must understand that our behavior, as a

society, is predominanrly linked to our culture, which is a result of our language.

We do not objectively know the ultimate meaning of anything and consequently

derive our sense of the meanings of things from the effects on us of our words. Words, as

sounds, affect us subliminally, supplying us with a feeling for whatever we name. It is that

feeling that we experience from the sounds of our words that supplies us with a consensus

basis for our action.

We cannot realistically expect humans to act in a way contradictory to their culture’s

bias. For example, Marx’s economic/social theory was used as a rallying standard to

enable regiem change. After those individuals who had experienced the despotism of the

czar had left the scene, the body-politic eventually rejected collectivism, the transplanted

economic organ. Russian culture is fundamentally feudal and Russian society naturally

reverted to its default mode, defined by its culture.

The czar was replaced by the head commissar and nothing much changed. Marx

held that the economic relationships within society create all other human relations. It seems

that culture is the cause of the nature of human relationships within any society.

	Please contact me at <joeg4us@roadrunner.com> or call 805-646-7686.

                             The Culture Made Us Do It
                   “The unrecognized function of language”

As an iceberg exists mostly under the surface of the water which supports it, hidden from view, the largest consequence of language tends to be hidden under the surface of our awareness. Most crucial human activities go on without awareness, for example, all of the bodily functions. Many deliberate activities proceed without much intentional awareness. For example, once one knows how to drive a car, much less awareness is needed to operate the vehicle, than when one is first learning. The subconscious mind supports the same kinds of activities as does the conscious mind, however, with less effort. Anything that can be automated, is. Automating essential activities frees the conscious mind to focus on issues in relation to which we feel we need to learn to more effectively cope, (those issues that require conscious attention until new behavioral patterns are in place). There is no need to be aware of processes that take place well enough without attention. It is only when a problem arises that we humans, in an attempt to solve it, focus our awareness on it. If we are coping well enough without awareness, why be aware? We don’t fix something if it doesn’t seem broken. We don’t reinvent our wheel as long as it’s still rolling. However, upon examination, our human condition appears to have been painfully broken for as long as we can recall, and must be repaired. How may we fix it?

Could it be that our behavior is governed by something that we cannot see, something of which we are not cognizant? Is there anything in our nature that would preclude such a possibility, the possibility that our behavior may be directed by forces not within the purview of our everyday consciousness? What could such a force be?

The ability to produce vocal sounds made it’s appearance on the scene before our progenitors made words of those sounds. The ability to vocalize articulately is a prerequisite to the ability to verbalize. Words appeared when our ancient ancestors became cognizant of the relatedness of stimului and their vocal responses to them. When they began using vocalizations to bring to mind, things, they made the transition between obtaining their sense of the meaning of things from direct experience of the things to deriving a sense of the meaning of things from experiencing the the effects on them of the sounds of the words for the things. This supercession of the primal world by the symbolic world was the start of culture.

Being able to talk about things was very advantageous to our distant relatives. They could confer and plan. More important, they experienced a common sense of the meaning of the things in their world by using common symbols with which to refer to them.

Culture was advantageous to our ancestors in the ancient, pre- industrial environment. Now our technology provides us with the power to create and reside in an artificial environment, one made according to the values inherent in our primitive culture. Our culture provides us with marching orders and our technology enables us to march very forcefully. Are we marching toward the edge of a precipice? All action is preceded by a decision to act, be that decision consciously or subconsciously made. All decisions are based on a consideration of the consequences of those decisions. These effects on us of the consequences of our actions are the same as and identical with the meanings of those actions. How do we know the meanings of any thing? How do we know the effects on us of any thing? Do we know the effects on us of things directly as a consequence of our direct experience with them or by indirect experience with the symbols for those things?

When we talk about culture, what do we have in mind? In the New World Dictionary of the American Language, the #6 definition of culture, is, ”The ideas, customs, skills, arts, etc. of a given people in a given period; civilization.” I define human culture as, “The values/assumptions that are shared by the users of any given language.” The history of the human race is basically, the record of the interactions of the people with their own and other cultures. We have been, for the most part, passive recipients of the cards dealt us by our cultures. Like passengers on a train, whose course is determined by the tracks that were laid down before they embarked on the train, our fates are largely determined by a course set previous to our birth and will continue to be unless we take matters into our own minds and hands. Wouldn’t we rather be active participants in shaping our destiny? We can be, if we understand how culture works. It is a simple and natural phenomena, and although we created it, we did so unconsciously and are not yet cognizant of how it works. Until we do become aware of the mechanics of culture, we will be merely actors in a script not of our choosing. Just as understanding our biology liberates us from some of the chains of previously “immutable law”, so too, knowing what culture is and consequently, how to alter it, will free us from our collective destiny determined by our acting upon the information contained within our language, that information being accepted by each of us in the process of learning to verbally communicate. When we realize that we cannot go on indefinitely, unaware of the root cause of our behavior, we may be more likely to look for new perspectives on the question of why we do what we do. Through the years, centuries and millennia, our culture has served us for better or for worse. It seems that we now acknowledge that we are dealing with challenging circumstances and that we need to somehow change our ways of dealing with our situation. Before technology and industrialization, we did not feel the need to address our cultural shortcomings nearly as much as we do now. The power to alter our environment given to us by our technology has brought the issue of our destructive behavior to the forefront. We are confronted by the results of our cultural inadequacy. However, as yet, we have not identified the source of our problem. We have not yet realized how we are possessed by our culture or even what culture is. We sometimes question why we act in ways so antithetical to our professed beliefs/values. We go to church on Sunday and are back to our normal patterns on Monday. Our saints and prophets tell us “The Truth”, and we agree with their teachings. Yet we continue to behave in contradiction to our professed beliefs/values, as we have for generations. We act in ways characteristic of our culture, not in ways representing of our best understandings. This contradiction between the values that we believe consciously and the values that seem to be truly motivating our behavior is the cause of much confusion, stress and cynicism. We are passive recipients of the perspective instilled in us by our culture. We must create a culture which contains a world-view with which we agree. Perhaps, if we became conscious of the nature of the relationship between ourselves and our culture, we would be able to do so.

					-------------------

How can we experience the effects on our emotions of the vocal sounds we utter and/or hear? I did, by saying the sounds of our language in the sequence in which they occur in our alphabet and sensitizing myself to the emotional effects of those sounds.
				        ---------------------
We used to live in whatever shelters, such as caves or rock overhangs, we found. Then we learned to make shelters where we wished. We have, until now, lived within and according to whatever culture in which we were born. We can now attempt to make our culture one that instills in us the values we consciously hold, rather than the values held by our distant ancestors. When I was in grade-school, it was commonly thought that culture is classical music, opera, the fine arts, classic literature, theater and such. I sensed that culture was far more than that; much more fundamental than that, and that culture existed deeply ingrained in each of us. Not until I discovered the mechanics of language did I realize what culture is, what it does to us and how it does it.

Language is the factory and culture is the product. Culture is an abstraction and language is the physical mechanism from which it springs. Language is emotionally evocative sounds used to represent things, thereby conveying to us the affects-on-us/the-meanings-of those things. Our sense of our own role in our culture, directs us as to how to behave. The cultural values, derived from our ancestors’ experiences long ago, as represented in our language, are instilled in us and direct our behavior today. A body continues in its state of motion until it is acted upon by an outside force. Human culture will remain fundamentally unchanged until it is deliberately changed; and that will not happen unless we feel the need to do so and know how to do it.

Culture resides in the subconscious mind. Many others have spoken about the need to change the way we, as a society, think: many have tried, by using means such as meditation, sleep deprivation, psychoactive substances, chanting, philosophical in-query, etc. to accomplish this change and may have been successful, to a degree. However, it seems they were not able to lastingly infuse into society at large their newfound vision, due to not addressing the need for change at the root/source, which is the culture. One must understand a process before one can intentionally and deliberately alter it. Understanding how language functions makes it possible to change our culture. I am advocating cultural awareness. First we must identify what culture is and then discover how it functions. Most of us are not aware of the importance of culture in shaping human events. The idea that we are strongly influenced by a force invisible to us appears to be disturbing to most. The principle that binds us together as an organized society is ingrained in our lives so pervasively that we do not see it. It operates automatically. The question of whether we approve of its values almost never arises. Rather, we act as automatons, driven by the invisible program instilled in us by learning our language. Just as our physical bodies evolved by natural processes, so our culture evolved by natural processes, without our awareness. Culture was established by the emergence of language and it has served us for better or for worse. And since industrialization, the contradiction between our professed values and our way of life have become increasingly obvious. This is due to the amplifying effect of technology on the magnitude of the impact on us of our actions. Our actions today affect us far more than they did prior to modern technology. This forces upon us the issue of the correctness of the values that motivate us. We can no longer afford to proceed ahead with no regard for the consequences. The tension caused by the contradictions between our professed beliefs and the values actually driving our actions is caused by the isolation from our consciousness of the source of the values that motivate us. Our beliefs derive from our conscious intellectual workings while our actions are driven by our cultural conditioning, which resides in our subconscious. We, who share a given language, all have the same underlying values, while we have different beliefs, depending on what cognitive roads we have traveled. How we translate these common basic values into actions depends on our perception of who we are in our social context. In the script we are born into, we act the role we see ourselves as plausibly and convincingly being able to play, hopefully while being true to our beliefs. One’s assumed role in society must seem plausible to them given their assessment of themselves.

How did language arise? Originally, our progenitors’ vocalizing only expressed internal-goings-on/emotion and did not refer to anything external to themselves. It was advantageous to members of the group to be informed of the emotional conditions of other members. Much later, when consciousness developed enough for them to see the connectedness of the sounds uttered to the things the sounds were uttered in reaction to, they realized that they could bring forth the thought of the things by uttering their associated sounds, (names). The beginning of talking about things was the start of culture,and the talking about things refocused the talkers’ conscious attention away from the experience of the emotional reactions to the sounds of the words and toward thoughts related to the things to which the words referred. While they were busy directing their attention to thoughts related to the things to which the words referred, they were still being emotionally affected, (in the same way as they were before they used their vocal sounds as words), by the vocal sounds they were making to form their words. So, the effects of the sounds they were making vocally were experienced subliminally, while consciously, they were dealing with the thoughts of the things referred to by their words. The affects-on-us/meanings- of things cannot be proven. All they had and all we have to go on are the effects on us of the things and the effects on us of the sounds of the words that represent the things. While the effects of the things are changeable over time and somewhat individual, the effects on us of the sounds of the words are relatively consistent and universal. Having nothing else to go on, we accept the effects on us of the vocal sounds of words as revealing/representing the effects on us of the things referred to by the words. In this way, culture is formed and passed to succeeding generations. Our world views typically come from the sense of meaning of things as represented by the sounds of our words rather than from the sense of meaning we may gain from the direct experience of the things themselves.

Do vocal sounds, themselves, communicate? When someone utters a vocal sound, such as a sigh, a growl, a whimper, a scream, etc., do we get a sense of how they are feeling? If so, they are communicating their condition. How does that communication take place? Do we receive information communicated in such a manner consciously, subconsciously or by both ways? What is the means by which an emotion can be conveyed by sound? Can emotion, or anything else be communicated by the articulate sounds of our vowels and consonants, or do only non-articulate vocal sounds convey meaning? If we allow that vocal sounds, simply as sounds, communicate, then is it possible or likely that the vocal sounds we use to make words also communicate when used as words? What would be the effect of using inherently meaningful sounds as symbols to represent other things? Would the inherent meaning of the sounds affect our perception of the things represented by the sounds? It seems it would be fruitful to consider at length whether vocal sounds inherently communicate/convey meaning. If, upon thorough consideration, one concludes that the sounds we make with our voice convey/communicate emotion, it seems that one might ask how the use of spoken language affects our world view. Does the inherent effect on our emotional state of the sounds of our words affect how we perceive that to which we verbally refer? These considerations may shed light on the issue of the root causes of human behavior. Naturally, those who contemplate our condition and would improve it if they could, would be attentive to these matters. The vibrations made by the body convey the condition of the emotional body to other similar/human emotional bodies, and to some degree, to other animal emotional bodies. The more similar the other body, the more the condition is transposed. Humans receive each others’ vocal and other body-language communications more readily than other species receive human communication. Similar structures transmit their resonation/vibration to each other more readily than do dissimilar structures.

My quest for understanding of human behavior began long ago. When I was around the age of six, I became increasingly aware that the folkways and formal institutions of our society were lacking in humanity and common sense. I asked myself why this was so. As a child, I attributed the problem to people’s personal psychology and it was not until I was in my late teens that I realized that the cause of the problem is our culture. It was then that I understood how verbal/vocal communication works. The cause of The Problem seemed and seems to be the culture which is created by the relationship between vocal sounds and what they refer to in our language. Some of the reasoning that preceded this realization was, first, that we are not created evil, but rather simply with survival instincts. Second, that if we were able to act sanely/rationally, we would be doing what produces the best results for everyone. Third, it must be something we learned, some false information, that causes us to behave in ways not in our own self-interest. Fourth, when I considered the question of from where this false information came, I identified as the source, the culture. Later, I realized that we do not, for sure, know the meaning of anything, and that, as far as we know, the only thing constant and predictable about any thing is its name, (the word-sound we produce in order to bring to consciousness whatever thing to which we choose to refer). After a time, I became aware of how the different vocal sounds we produce when we speak words each create in us a unique effect and how those effects inform us subconsciously of the affect on us, (the meaning), of the thing itself to which the sound, (word), refers. At this time, I also learned that the sequence of sounds of the letters of our alphabet represent a sequential delineation of emotional/experiential events. From A to Z, the succession of the sounds of the letters of our alphabet is an example of pattern- projection/recognition, the pattern, in this case, being the seminal emotional events that humans experience during their lives. Emotions happen to us: they seem to come from the “great mystery”, God, or whatever image we may use to portray a place from which strong and compelling feelings emanate.

Given, all the vocal sounds that people can make, how would one arrange the sounds sequentially and from what archetype, (model), would the pattern of that sequence come? Even if the originators of the present alphabet deliberately imposed a pattern on their arrangement of the letter-sounds, whatever world view that existed in their minds caused them to feel most comfortable with the sequence of sounds they chose. The sequence they chose must have been agreeable with the story that was represented in their minds by those sounds in that sequence. If one admits that vocal sounds affect us, then how could a story, a sequence of affects, not be told by the sequence in which the sounds exist? Whether or not the originators of any particular alphabet had a conscious reason for arranging the sounds of that alphabet in the sequence in which they appear, subconscious “reasons” were influencing their arrangement none the less. We tend to cling to our culture as if our lives depended on it, as a drowning person might cling to a life preserver. Culture offers an answer, -in this case subconsciously apprehended- , to the question, “What are the meanings of all things to which we refer with words?” Without culture, there tends to be no consensus about what things mean. Language informs us of the meanings of named things by the affects on us of the sounds of our words. Those who use the same language experience the same sense of the meanings of the things that make up their world. That sense emanates from the deep levels of their subconscious and their final assessment of the meanings of things results from their processing that deep, culturally caused base sense of meaning through the lens of their perception of their own relationship to the society in which they live.

For the sake of clarity, let us consider, hypothetically, what the result/s would be of using meaningful sounds to refer to things. Would the meanings of the sounds spill over into the perceived meanings of the things or would the meanings of the things influence the perceived meanings of the sounds? Or would neither influence the other or would they influence each other? Which has a stronger meaning-pressure, the sounds we make with our voice or the things which with the sounds we name? The vocal sounds express/communicate states of the emotions first and foremost, and as an afterthought, so to speak, they are used to refer to things. They communicate emotion by moving the auditory apparatus of the hearer in a manner analogous to the movements of the vocal apparatus of the speaker, thereby creating in the hearer an emotion analogous to the emotion present in the speaker. Just as the touch of the hands conveys the intent of the toucher, so the vocal motion of the vocalizer creates in the hearer an emotional state analogous to that of the vocalizer.

Just as our becoming-human ancestors were gaining consciousness, (the ability to know the consequences of their actions), they were, for the first time, using vocal expressions as words to refer to specific things, not only to express immediate emotional goings-on. Since they vocalized primarily under duress, their words were expressions born of fear rather than of conscious understanding. The mind concentrates on problems, on issues that could potentially be destructive to the thinker. When this fear-based thinking bias becomes institutionalized in language, we seem to have no relief from our anxiety. The more we verbalize about any given problem, the more stressed-out we become. This reminds me of the way Eskimos sometimes would kill a wolf. They would smear congealed blood on a very sharp knife and set it out where wolves frequented. When a wolf licked the blood, it would bleed and lick its own blood not knowing it was bleeding to death. We are wolfish for knowledge and we pursue it by using our main thinking tool, our language.

			The Unrecognized Role of Language in Society

Culture is the hidden “law-of-the-land”. We are creatures of culture, and its subjects. Our culture originally enhanced our survivability and, in a technologically modern world, may become the instrument of our destruction. Our culturally motivated ways of relating to one another may have once been viable, although perhaps immoral, and now, with our powerful ability to cause environmental change, are untenable.

”The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” --- Albert Einstein

The referential function of human language is merely the “tip of the iceberg” of the role of language. Its larger and more profound function is that it informs us of the meanings of all to which we verbally refer. We are moved in a primal way by the sounds we produce with our voice and, in the absence of any “objective”, absolute information regarding (the affects on us)/ (the meanings of) the things of our world, we accept the affects on us of the vocal sounds of our words as representing the affects on us of the things to which our words refer. In this way, we are informed subliminally, simply by learning our language, of the meaning of our world. How else could we, as very young children, have achieved a sense of how we were affected by the numerous things that made up our world? This matter is of paramount importance because we act in accordance with how we perceive our world, (with what our world means to us), and our sense of that meaning is derived from the affect upon us of our words. Much of human behavior that is commonly attributed to “human nature” is actually motivated by cultural nature, which is produced by language. How and what would our society be if we had a culture which instilled in us the values we would consciously choose to hold? Presently, we simply assimilate the culture in which we are born. Once we understand the mechanism of cultural transmission, we will be able to change our group program. However, it seems that many may be too timid to venture forth from the false security of our unquestioned and familiar values. Some have expressed to me that language, as it exists, is a product of nature and that to change it deliberately would produce an unnatural result, a Frankenstein culture, the consequences of which would be uncertain and therefore, too risky. To those I suggest that we are inherently unable to venture out of the natural realm, as we are inextricably woven into the web of nature. Furthermore it is entirely correct and wholesome for us, with the goal of improving our survivability, to choose to correct our culture at its source. Once we see how we may help ourselves, we would be entirely correct and within our progressive evolutionary tradition to use all our knowledge to do so.

Vocal sounds either communicate as vocal sounds or they do not. If we assume that vocal sounds do not communicate, then language only blindly and unemotionally refers to things. If we assume that vocal sounds do communicate something, as vocal sounds, then language does more than merely refer to things: it also informs us about the things named. Which is true? Do any of us believe that our vocal sounds do not express/communicate anything? If we believe that vocal sounds communicate/express something, then what is it that they communicate/ express? If vocal sounds do communicate as sounds, do they loose that communicative function when incorporated into words or do they continue to be expressive when used in words? If vocal sounds that constitute words communicate something as sounds, then what effect does the sound of a word exert on our perception of the thing referred to by that word? Our vocal sounds affect us more articulately and consistently than do the things to which our words refer. The stronger effect on us of the sounds of words than the effect on us of the things which words label, the consensus regarding the meaning of things that words provide members of a language group and the constancy of the effect on us of the sounds we make vocally compared to the relative inconsistency of the affect on us of the things to which our words refer, all contribute to the result of we allowing and welcoming our words to replace the things to which they refer as the causal factor in forming our perception of the meanings-of those things. When we use words, we feel we have a firsthand experience of the things named. This experience with the linguistic representation of things provides us with a sense of their meaning. Because we really do not know how we are ultimately affected by any particular thing, we do not know the meaning of any thing. It is in this context, this meaning-vacuum, that the vocal sounds of our words, which are rich with emotional import, by default, inform us of the emotional affects of the named things and therefore with the meanings of those things. We associate the sounds of words and their effects with the things to which they refer. Furthermore, it is the effect of a thing and only the effect that lets us know that the thing is there. We have nothing other than the sounds of our words, (the sounds of our voice), that is common to we all, constant, and that affects us when the thing itself is not there in front of us. The effects on us of the sounds of our own voice take the place of the effects on us of the things themselves. We make our world familiar and handleable by using our bodily sounds to represent the things we encounter. We intuitively understand the meanings/effects of our vocal sounds while we do not as readily understand the effects on us of the things to which our words refer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------

One common hurdle to achieving understanding that many seem to be unable/ unwilling to clear, is the idea that the primary meanings of vocal sounds, including the sounds of words, are the effects they cause within each of us and not the things to which they refer when uttered as words. Another point that aided me in understanding the function of language is that we really do not know the meaning of anything but rather behave as though our taken-for-granted assumptions are valid only because they have not been held to the light of scrutiny. It is only that which resides in our subconscious and of which we are not conscious and consequently do not question, that we act as if we “know” for sure. Remember the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland? When asked how he managed to coordinate the movements of all those legs, he became aware of the previously unconscious process of walking and then could not walk. The only sense of the meaning of things that we dependably share in common with the others of our society is instilled in each of us by the relationship between the sounds of our words and the things to which those words refer. Words are the link between our “autonomic” sense of meaning and the things that make up our environment. We give things a familiarity by attaching to them sounds created by our body. What do things really have to do with our vocal sounds?

What meaning, if any, do things have if we are not affected by those things? All meaning is relative. If we were totally unaffected by something, would it be meaningful? How would whatever meaning it may have be perceived? Clearly, what we want to know about something, (anything), is how it affects us, (what is it?).

The lack of understanding, even more the lack of interest in understanding the ideas I was putting forth to the academicians, dampened my impulse to reach out to those I previously thought were most likely to understand and apprehend this discovery. It has been my role to carry this message and to seemingly have almost no one with which to share it. I figured that what I was saying was threatening on a deep level to most, who would otherwise gain a glimpse of it. My discovery, seems to threaten the sense of security of those who consciously or otherwise treat their culture as an idol. Some of us, especially those of highly exercised intellectual abilities, feel that security is to be had by being able to “explain” the meaning of things. By uttering words, (sounds), about things, what meaning is revealed? Doing so may create the illusion of understanding by seeming to make the named things familiar. But does it, only inform us with the effect/meaning of the sounds of words, or the meaning of the things as well?

There are so many “issues” thrown up in our faces in this media- glutted world; and they all need attention. Like a word full of tubercular patients each a worthy cause and in desperate straits. There is no way I can address each one, or even one of them effectively when they are all tied together and dependent on one another. It appears that culture is the root of all of the manifestations of human behavior. We all behave according to our values and assumptions and those derive from our culture. Do our academicians know what culture is, how it relates to the people who are instilled with it and how it may be changed? We are informed subliminally of the meaning of our world by the language that we speak.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand how language generates culture? What is/are the missing piece/s of information that they need in order to grasp that concept? The world would be a lot friendlier than it is if humans would act in ways more humane than they currently do. A better way is possible. We need only the vision of this better world as an everyday experience in order for us to act in accord with it. The consciousness of how to act in order to create the world we wish must be the status quo not the rarity that it now is. This changing of the status-quo can be accomplished by changing the culture and changing culture is accomplished by changing language.

We have no way of knowing the ultimate meaning of anything. When we become aware of something, we question its meaning and once something is questioned, we never gain a true sense of its absolute meaning. Of only that which we do not question do we act as if its meaning seems to be clear. It is “unquestioned”. By questioning, the professed certainty of the uninformed is replaced by the wonderment of the “enlightened”. Our culture/language supplies us with a sense of knowing the meaning of all things for which we have a name. A sense of the meaning of things contributes to our feeling of safety in the face of an otherwise uncertain, threatening world. We gain that sense of knowing the meaning of things simply by being able to refer to them with words. Our subconscious minds accept the affects on us of the sounds of the words as being the affects on us of the things to which the words refer and being informed of the effects of things is the same as being informed of the meanings of things. What other meaning can there be of a thing than its affect on us? The words stand in for the things we name with them and our perception of the sounds of our words replaces, subliminally, our perception of the things themselves. The words are all we, as a group, have to go on to achieve a sense of the meanings/affects of the things. Being informed of the meanings/affects of things has some advantages compared to being informed of the meaning/affects of things by direct perception of the things. All those who use a particular language have the same fundamental sense of the meanings of named things and consequently, are able to participate in a consensus-based group interaction. The words for things stay constant through time while how we are affected by things changes. We can share our experiences with words. Without words, or any other form of body-language our own personal experience would remain solely our own. Furthermore, words enable abstract thought and planning. While we think using the perception of things created by words, we feel as though we were thinking with the perception of the things themselves. Are we conscious that we are affected by the sounds we make with our voice? Most would acknowledge that they are emotionally affected/ moved by the voices of singers and actors in dramatic moments. We know that great orators affect us with their delivery and vocal qualities. We seem to be unaware that we are affected by the phonemic sounds we utter, even absent any intentional emotional overlay or coloring. The sounds of the human voice affect us deeply. When we utter vocal sounds that are simply sounds and not words, we may, more easily, experience consciously, the effects of the sounds, than when we speak words. When we speak words, we typically consciously experience the referential function of the words and not the affects on us of the sounds of the words, while we experience the effects of the vocal sounds of words subliminally. Because we experience one thing, (the meanings of the words), consciously, and another thing, (the affects on us of the sounds), subconsciously, we subconsciously interpret the subliminal effects of the vocal sounds as being the effects of the things to which the words refer. The subconscious mind supplies us with the bottom line of the meaning of whatever it is we are considering because we cannot reason with it. Whatever we are conscious of, we can question and whatever we question is uncertain. However we have a subconscious reaction to that which the (meaning-of)/(effect-on-us) is consciously unknown, as long as we have a word for it, and that subconscious reaction creates an experience of and hence a sense of knowing of the meaning of that which, prior to being named, did not seem to be known. The word, made of familiar sounds from our body, stands in for the unknown thing, separate from our body. In the absence of any objective sense of the meaning of things, we rely on our words to provide us with a sense of knowing, because knowing relieves us of the stress of anxiety. We are driven into the perceived safety of the familiarity of our culture, as represented in our language, by the stress of the fear generated by not knowing. One must be willing to embrace the mystery of existence in order to experience, free from the bias of existing culture. Considering words to be things in and of themselves, as sounds, and not only a means to refer to things, will enable us to examine them for their inherent meaning. The primary meaning of a word is not the thing it represents. It is, rather, the way we are affected by it’s sounds. We consciously consider the meaning of the word to be the thing to which the word refers and we subconsciously experience the meaning of the word as the effects on us of its sounds. Because we experience, profoundly and consistently, the effects on us of our human vocal sounds while we experience less intimately and less consistently the effects on us of the things to which we refer with words, the emotional effects of the words as sounds overrides the emotional effects of the things named, and informs us of the nature of named things. In a similar way that explorers laid claim to land in the name of the monarch, we tend to lay claim to that which we name in order to render it seemingly familiar and known.

Everything that we perceive subconsciously affects us on that level and sends emotional information to our conscious minds and everything that we perceive consciously affects us subconsciously as well. We consciously perceive the sounds of spoken language and we are also affected subconsciously by those same sounds. In the course of verbal communication, we think of the things to which our words refer while subconsciously we are emotionally affected by the sounds of our words. This simultaneous occurrence of the thought of a thing and the subconscious experience of the emotion generated by the sound of the word we use to refer to that thing, subliminally informs us of the affect-on-us/the-meaning-of the thing. In this way, we acquire a sense of the affects-on-us/the-meanings-of everything for which we have a word. This is important because our actions in relation to the things that make up our world are driven by our perception of the meanings of those things. Therefore, if we would change for the better our societies’ behavior, we ought to change our languages. Since spoken language is crucial in determining the course of human events, it would be better if it instilled in us meanings of things with which we consciously agree rather than meanings of which we are not aware and with which we may not agree if we were. We humans are not doing so well with our relationships with one another that we should be complacent regarding the improvement of our culture.

People have been attempting to address our social and economic challenges ever since there were people. All the religions were attempts to provide a basis for our behavior. Marxism was/is an attempt to correct the social and economic hardships caused by inequality and exploitation. Communes were typically instituted to provide healthy social environments. Organized politics and codified legal systems were/are created, supposedly, to improve our condition. Why is it unclear whether any of these deliberate social structures actually made/make our situation better or worse? Could it be that the cause of our malaise is something that is not being recognized by those who strive to improve our lot? For how many years, for how many centuries and millennium will we try to fix our broken world by creating laws, religions, political and economic institutions before we decide that doing so does not deal with the source of the problem? Marx’s mistake was believing that economics is the foundation upon which all society’s other institutions are based. It seemed reasonable to him that since life is dependent upon the biological economics of survival, that economics must be the determining force in society. He did not see that our culture provides us with a sense of the meaning of all recognized things thereby assuaging the fear/ terror that naturally arises as a result of our consciousness of our physical mortality and that we tend to protect and defend that culture because of the apparent security which it provides.

			   What is the root of the problem?

The culture, created by language forms our values which then strongly influence the decisions we make consciously and especially subconsciously?

                                              What is culture?

I define culture as the common fundamental values held by the members of a society. These values derive from our perception of the meanings of the things that make up our world. “Things” are whatever we identify as being distinguishable from other things, which include feelings, thoughts, values, people and ideals. The meanings of things are one with and the same as the affects on us of those things. How do we acquire our sense of, (the affects on us of)/(the meanings of), things? Is it from our own individual experience with things? Is it from what we say to ourselves and to each other about things? If it were based on individual experience, how would we achieve consensus and why would all cultures not be pretty much the same? Most would hold that even within a given society our values are not the same and surely the popular view that our values are indicated by a cursory survey of our behavior seems to support that conclusion. When attempting to assess the values that underlie behavior we should consider the influence of the role that each individual sees them self as playing within their culture. Given the same fundamental values, individuals within any society tend to behave not only relative to those basic values but also in relation to how they perceive them self, (who they perceive themselves to be). ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

It seems that the cause of the problem of why we do so many seemingly destructive and self-defeating things must be so basic, so fundamental as to escape our awareness. It must be housed in the subconscious mind since all our attempts to address it have been futile. It is that which we don’t consciously know that we subconsciously know that can cause us the most trouble. Our emotional reactions are influenced by that which resides in the subconscious just as they are by that of which we are conscious, and often, we create rationales to explain our behavior, while the actual reasons for the feelings that motivate us may be otherwise. What does every cultural group share within itself that affects its members profoundly and without their conscious knowledge? Where are the hidden rules by which we live to be found? Our culture is an artifact, inherited from distant ancestors, formed in an environment vastly different than today. Ways of interacting with one another that may have seemed to work then now appear to be dysfunctional. The primary example is war, which before weapons of mutual destruction, was rationalizable by the victors. But now, with nuclear weapons, would there be any victors? We still think as we did then but we cannot afford to act today as we may have believed we could then. Our technology has evolved tremendously but our culture has not. We are ill-equipped to cope with the situation our technology has enabled us to create. Even if war seemed winnable, wouldn’t we prefer peace?

If we admit that vocal sounds inherently affect us, as do facial expressions and general body posture, then we may ask how our sense of the meaning of the things which make up our world is affected by using inherently meaningful symbols to refer to them. What is the relative strength of the emotional effects upon us of our symbols compared to the emotional effects of the things to which they refer? Considering that the emotional effects of the things themselves vary with context and is particular of each of us, and that the emotional effects of the vocal symbols is relatively constant and universal, can we assume that the meanings of the symbols create the perceived meanings of the things? Is this relationship the same or different within the conscious and subconscious minds? Does our conscious or subconscious mind more strongly influence our behavior? Are our behaviors affected by our subconscious minds even when we are trying to do what we consciously think we should do?

We either are or are not affected by our vocal utterances. I see that we are. If we were not affected by our vocal utterances, we would not vocalize. The whole purpose of vocalizing is communication! And in order to communicate among ourselves, we must be affected by one another. What, we may ask, is communicated by vocalizing? What is communicated when other animals vocalize? It is clear that animals communicate their instantaneous emotional states by their vocalizations. How is this communication accomplished? The vibrating of the body of the vocalizer, (sender), causes the body of the receiver to vibrate in sympathy and by the imposing/sharing of vibratory activity. The receiver experiences the motions and consequently the emotions of the sender. This simple process is the foundation of our vocal activity, our verbal activity, (our language), and our culture. Many of us seem to balk at accepting the idea that our lofty retorical proclamations are founded upon such primal processes. If you are one of these, consider that our genetic blueprint is shared, in the majority, by all other vertebrates and largely by all other animals. To those who disparage animals, please be reminded that the Grand Creator authored ALL of everything, not only us and those with whom we approve.

What are the ingredients that make up the mix of influences that determine human behavior? Given that we are intelligent enough to appreciate and cherish the truths that are our guiding principles, and given that we are not born self destructive, then for what reason/ s do we act as we typically do? From where does the false information come that motivates much of our behavior? “Human nature” does not account for our inhuman actions. It must be that the cause of our destructiveness exists among the things which we learn. From what ultimate source do we acquire our information regarding the meaning of our world? Our culture is that source. What have we got to go on in order to achieve a sense of the meaning of our world other than the words we speak? Do we have a benchmark for establishing the meaning of things? If everything is relative, to what does it all relate? We need not look further than ourselves to find that. How could it be otherwise? How we are affected by the things that constitute our world establishes their meaning. The vocal sounds we make express and convey the different emotional affects we experience. Our words are made up of these body-sounds. Therefore, our words convey emotional meaning and inform us of the effect on us of things for which we have names and consequently, of which we are aware. Language functions as a link between the conscious and the subconscious. We are conscious of the words we speak while they inform us subconsciously of the meaning of things.

Does it matter what things mean? Does it matter what we think they mean? Do our actions relative to them depend on what they mean to us? Do we act in relation to things according to what they mean to us? How do we know the ultimate effect on us of any thing? Is the effect on us of any thing its meaning? How can any thing mean to us anything other than what its effect on us is? How do we obtain a sense of the meanings of things? Do we get that sense of the effect- on-us/ the-meaning-of things directly from our own experience with things or as mediated by language?

-----------------------

Of all forms of body language, (vocalization, facial expression and overall body posture), only one of them,vocalization, is commonly used to represent things other than conditions of the emotional body. Our general posture is very communicative of our physical-emotional state without our deliberate intent and is also used deliberately to convey the same. Facial expression can be more finely communicative of our state of being/feeling than is general body posture. Vocalization, while being profoundly expressive/communicative, is ordinarily exclusively used for uttering words. While we are not aware of the effect upon ourselves of the phones we utter, we are aware of the effect upon ourselves of the emotional embellishments we add to them. Often, we consciously add emotional content to our words in order to embellish their referential meaning. Since we are busy, often consciously, processing the referential meaning of our words, we are unaware of the emotional impact of the sounds that make them up. Each distinct articulate vocal sound affects us in its own unique way. Understanding this is crucial to understanding the workings of the culture-creating function of language. We not only refer to things with our words. More profoundly, we inform ourselves of the very meaning of those things merely by using a word, (a vocal sound), to refer to them. This information as to the affect upon us/ the meaning of the things which make up our world constitutes our culture. Culture is information. Since we are not aware of the nature of this information, it exists in our subconscious minds. We act according to a subconscious program put in place by our language. If we understand how we receive information regarding the meaning or our world, we can change that information so that it agrees with what we believe to be the nature of our world. Our culture is passed down, from long ago; from before electronics, before motorized transport and the printing press. If we were to deliberately create our language today, would we create the one we currently use? If so or if not, why? Would we know how to create a language that conveys the meanings of things that are their actual meanings? If we would know, how would we know? If not, why not?

The ability to produce the vocal sounds made it’s appearance on the scene before our progenitors made words of those sounds. The ability to vocalize articulately is a prerequisite to being able to verbalize. Words appeared when our ancient ancestors became cognizant of the relatedness of the stimulus and the vocal response to it. When they began using vocalizations to bring to mind, things, they transitioned between obtaining their sense of the meaning of things by direct involvement with the things to deriving a sense of the meaning of things by involvement with the words for the things. This supercession of the primal world by the symbolic world was the start of culture. Being able to talk about things was very advantageous to our distant relatives. They could confer and plan. More important, they experienced a common sense of the meaning of the things in their world from using common symbols with which to refer to them.

That which affects us profoundly and constantly must be in close proximity. Things right in front of us are often overlooked when we consider that which affects us powerfully. We tend to assume that if the cause of major difficulties were so close to us, we would have discovered it by now. Let us reexamine our major influences to look for what causes us to behave in such untoward ways. As a species, we are plenty smart enough to understand why our saints and prophets are correct when they exhort us to be good. We create secular laws that mirror our religious tenants and are sensitive to any critique of our behavior. Our feelings of guilt seem to be well developed. Why then do we act as we do; making war against one another, smoking, drinking and engaging in all kinds of destructive activity? I have heard many claim that it is simply “human nature” to be as we are. Those who believe that feel that there is nothing to be done to correct our human malaise other than punishment. Evil ones must be trimmed back, like a noxious and thorny vine. I do not subscribe to that depressing idea and know that the truth of the matter is that we humans are inherently survival oriented and will learn whatever seems as though it will further that purpose. It is because of our native intelligence coupled with our survival desire that we voluntarily stretch our consciousnesses in order to glimpse a better way for ourselves to carry on. What forces influence our behavior? What we believe to be good and correct does not, it seems, determine our actions. Do we not fully believe that what seems right to us is truly right? Or is there some other influence that informs us of what the world and all the things and concepts and people in it mean to us; something else that influences our perception of how we must behave in order to survive? Our behavior is related to how we are affected by the things that make up our world. We behave in relation to the various things that fill our awareness according to how they affect our survivability, ( how we PERCEIVE that they affect our survivability). We perceive the world directly through personal contact with it and indirectly through contact with that which re-presents the world to us, (our language). Language re-presents the world by labeling everything about which we speak, with sounds made by our bodies in reaction to states of our emotion. Our ancestors and our children, when young, make vocal sounds in reaction to environmental stimuli. Those emotive sounds are intuitively made sense of by all who hear them. We sense the vocalizations and they make sense to us. The vocal sounds are made by a body in an emotional state and cause that state to be replicated in the emotional body of the hearer of those sounds. The sending body vibrates and the receiving body vibrates similarly. An emotionally linked vibrational pattern is spread from the originator of the vocal sound-vibration to whoever’s auditory apparatus is moved by it. The transmittance of the vibrational pattern is the transmission of the emotion. The more empathetic we are, the more we are affected by the emotions of others. Language is an institutionalized way we move our bodies, specifically our ears, central nervous system and emotional apparatus, in relation to the various things that make up our world. In relation to a book, we who speak English, utter the sound, “book”. In relation to a book, a Spanish-speaking person utters the sound, “ libre”. These two different sounds move us in different ways, giving us a different experience of that which re-presents that object, the word for it. The primal meaning of a word is the affect it, the sound of it, wroughts within us. The secondary, more distant meaning of a word is that to which it refers. The secondary meaning is what we commonly accept as being the one and only meaning. We are generally not aware of the primary meaning for we are affected by the vocal sounds of our words subliminally and by the secondary, referential, meaning of words consciously. To understand the functionality, the “nuts and bolts”, of language, is to be free of domination by culture, to be the masters of culture rather than its subjects. We have been inextricably attached to culture, for better or for worse, ever since our use of language began. Now we can intentionally create a language/culture that informs us as we would like to be informed, of the effects on us, the meanings of all the things we name. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

Certainly we agree that we are affected by the sounds we utter. What then is the consequence of referring to all the things to which we refer, with inherently meaningful sounds? If we were able to refer to things with “meaningless” symbols, then all we would be conveying is the thought of the thing. Is there such a thing as a meaningless symbol? In order to perceive anything, including a symbol, that symbol must register upon our senses and in order to register upon our senses, the sensed thing must affect us. No effect on us equals no perception by us. Whatever the effect on us is, is the fundamental meaning of the sensed thing. When we refer to things, we are primarily being affected by the symbol which we use to do the referring and secondarily by the memory, if there is a memory, of the thing to which we are referring. When we refer to something with which we have no direct experience, we have only the symbol, (word), to affect us and thus to inform us.

If there is a discrete connection between a vocal sound and a thing, and a connection likewise between a particular vocal sound and an a specific effect on the emotions, then there is a connection between the effect on us of the sound and the thing to which that sound, (word), refers.

We are aware that sound has an effect and that the word is sound and that the word has an effect and that the word refers to a thing. Are we aware that, for all intents and purposes, the effect seems to be the thing. How we are affected by a thing, our perception of a thing, is accepted subliminally as being the meaning of the thing. Our acts relative to the things in our world, are related to the perceived meanings of those things.

We feel the feelings generated by the sounds of our words at the same time as we are deliberately focusing on the things to which the words refer. As a consequence, we associate particular sound- generated feelings with particular things. The thing does not define the feeling. Rather, the feeling defines the thing. The feeling of the word determines what is accepted subliminally as the meaning of the thing. The word enables us to experience feelings of the meanings of things not present and unknown by direct expeience. It establishes a sense of consensus which wells up from the subconscious mind among the speakers of a given language.

All throughout human history, language has been playing this role of consensus creator based on the information we derive from the sounds of our words regarding the affects-on-us, the meanings-of the things that make up our world. If we would rather live in a culture of our own creation than in any one in which we happened to be born, we might consider experimenting with cultural change through language renewal.

I have been asked what I hope to achieve with this information. My desire is that we become aware of the forces that affect us so that we may be able to change the circumstances that exist to circumstances that we would like to exist.

It all started a long time ago; relatively speaking, of course. I was a young child when my parents instilled in me a very strong sense of social justice and a belief in the ultimate good of humanity. I was taught to see the world as a work in progress, one that needed attention. Only by dedication to principle, I was told, could we make it a better place in which to live. Both my father and mother were labor organizers. My dad emigrated to the USA from Ukraine. My mother was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She had no dad present as her mother and an unknown partner collaborated without the formality of legal marriage and did not remain together. She was adopted by a somewhat successful business man and his wife and received a scholarship offer to study singing at a university. She chose to organize coal miners in West Virginia rather than to pursue the scholarship. My dad arrived at Ellis Island in 1922 at the age of 15. He, his mother and sister stayed with a family member in Boston where he worked in his uncle’s furniture store. At 15 1/2, he was run over by a gasoline truck with solid hard rubber wheels while riding a bicycle and lost his left leg from below the knee. Although he wished to study engineering, financial necessity caused him to work in a furniture factory. He was thrown down the stairs of the shop by goons because he was talking about the union. After that, he vowed that they would never treat him in such a way again. At 19 years of age, he was elected to be the president of his local furniture workers union. His early life seems to have been quite difficult. His father died of tuberculosis when my dad was 13; the various armies of the period were ranging across the countryside raping and conscripting and taking whatever they wanted; he, his mother and younger sister waited for two years in Poland for papers to immigrate. He told me of a time when he got drunk at a party and woke up three weeks later in a strange hotel room in a strange town, with no memory of the three weeks. My mother and dad were both married and divorced before they married each other; my mother to a minister and my dad to a woman who later married a minister. For most of my childhood, I was read to alot by my mother and I listened to music on a then state of the art high fidelity record player/radio. My dad would talk to me somewhat seriously, (as one would with a child, being straightforward while avoiding dark and gloomy proclamations), about all sorts of things, philosophical and current. I would listen for hours to the 78s and old lps and watch the needle track along the grooves. “How can the sound, which affects me so profoundly, come from these inanimate records?”, I thought. My mother explained that the grooves have ripples in them and when the needle travels along the ripples in the grooves it moves in a way representative of that shape. Those movements are then converted to electrical impulses and then to sound. the same sound that caused the ripples to be made when the record was recorded. So the shape of the ripples on the record store the sound that made them. That sound can be recreated by reading that shape with a needle. I was fascinated. As I grew up, I became progressively more and more aware of injustices and atrocities and asked myself why it was that way. I knew that the answer was discoverable and that I felt I could discover it. I determined that I definitely did not want to be a martyr by “fighting the good fight” only to be gloriously defeated by some obstacle caused by an undiscovered relationship between one thing and another. For several years that question percolated in my mind as bits and pieces of relevant findings were added to my reservoir of information. I assumed that we humans are not born fundamentally destructive. It seemed, from what I had learned, that we inherently want to survive and reproduce and that in itself was not problematical. Therefore, behavior that violates this principle must be informed by what we learn. We learn our fundamental values and assumptions from our culture. I asked how those values and assumptions transfer from the culture to the people. I remembered that my mother said that it is not what is said but rather how it is said that really informs us. I wondered what, exactly, that meant. I knew that culture could work for us rather than against us. We simply had to discover how it works and remake it. In 1969, I was living in a commune in Placitas, New Mexico. There was a child’s phonograph player there and a John Coltraine album which I played. The instrumental music inspired images of such strength and clarity that I marveled that that could be. Since there were no words included in the piece, I asked how music, (simply sounds), could convey such definitive meaning. The answer came that words are sounds also, so how could words convey meaning? The same way nonverbal sounds do. I hitchhiked from Placitas, in the snowy winter, back to Los Angeles, to the house where I lived when I was in grades four through twelve. There, in the quiet evening, in the room that previously was my bedroom, while lying in bed, I reasoned that if vocal sounds affect us emotionally, I ought to be able to perceive that effect by saying the sounds out loud and feeling my reaction to each of them. I proceeded to say the sounds of the letters of the alphabet. After experiencing the effects of the first few letters, I realized that a story was unfolding. The ways I was being affected by the sounds of the letters of the alphabet, in the order of their appearance in the alphabet, was telling a story of a person’s life. Although I thought that that was profound and was fascinated by this finding, I did not believe that that story was an accurate representation of the major events in a person’s life. My first reaction to this revelation was that I could become renowned for the discovery. But immediately I thought that that could not happen because the prerequisite understandings did not exist in the peoples’ minds. They had not gone through some of the things that I had, things that seemed to be essential to the understanding of how language works. Not until 1982 did I decide to try to communicate my findings to others on a large scale. I did not have any idea what I was to do, if not to attempt to share this most significant revelation with the others on this planet. I wrote approximately 300 letters to professors, mostly within the USA. Two from the then Soviet Union wrote back in longhand, in Russian, stating that my “theory” could not be correct because it contradicted Marxist theory, which contends that the economic relationships within society determine the nature of the culture, not the other way around, as I was proposing. The failure of the Russian revolution seems to support my view. The Marxist economy was rejected by the body politic due to its incompatibility with the existing culture, a culture which produced czars and then commissars. Although the titles had changed, the functions had remained pretty much the same. The American labor movement is another example of how the default mode of the culture reestablishes itself after relatively brief diversions. We come from the monarchal systems of England and Europe and, but for the titles, have changed little from our origins. I received about fifty replies from professors of linguistics and some people of notoriety and none of them, it seems, understood the concept I expressed. One common hurdle to achieving understanding that they seemed to be unable/ unwilling to traverse was the idea that the primary meaning of vocal sounds and, by extension words, is the affect they cause within each of we humans and not the things to which words refer. Later I also surmised that they did not realize that we really do not know the meaning of anything. We behave as though we know our taken- for-granted assumptions, only because they have not been held to the light of scrutiny. It is only that of which we are not consciously aware and consequently do not question, that we act as if we “know” for sure. Remember the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland? When asked how he managed to coordinate the movements of all those legs, he became aware of the previously unconscious process of walking and suddenly could not walk. The only sense of the meaning of things that we share in common with the others of our society is instilled in each of us by the relationship between the sounds of our words and the things to which those words refer. Words are the link between our “autonomic” sense of meaning and the things that make up our environment. We give things a familiarity by attaching to them sounds emanating our body. What do they really have to do with such sounds? What meaning, if any, do things have if we are not affected by those things? All meaning is relative. If we were unaffected by something, would it be meaningful? How would that meaning be perceived? Clearly, what we want to know about something, (anything), is how it affects us, what its meaning is. The lack of understanding, even more the lack of interest in understanding what I was putting forth to the academicians, dampened my impulse to reach out to those I thought were most likely to understand and appreciate my discovery. It has been my lot to be charged with this message and to seemingly have almost no one with which to share it. I figured that what I was saying was threatening on a deep level to most who might otherwise gain a glimpse of it. My discovery, seems to threaten the sense of security of those who consciously or otherwise treat their culture as an idol. Some of us, especially those of highly exercised intellectual abilities, feel that security is to be had by being able to “explain” the meaning of things. What meaning is revealed by uttering words, (sounds), about things? Doing so may create the illusion of understanding by seeming to make the named things familiar but does it really prove anything about the things? Words can be used in a kindly manner to help get us back on track when we lose our way. But they cannot convince any one who is determined to see things in a certain way. Only the willing can be helped and, if they are truly willing, it seems likely that they would need none.

There are so many “issues” thrown up in our faces in this media-rich world; and they all need attention. Like a word full of tubercular patients each a worthy cause and in desperate straits. There is no way I can address each one, or even one of them effectively when they are all tied together and dependent on one another. It appears that culture is the root of all of the manifestations of human behavior. We all behave according to our values and assumptions and those derive from our culture. Does anyone really know what culture is, how it relates to the people who are instilled with it and how it may be changed? I observe that culture is the unconscious of the mass, that which we who live in a society share with one another and have in common. It has to do with our world-view and with what things mean to us. Our world view is formed by what things mean to us. How do we obtain our sense of the meaning of our world? Do we share that sense with the others in our group or is it individual to each of us? Is it a conscious, subconscious or unconscious sense? When I discovered that the sounds of words convey a sense of meaning, I realized that I had found the answers to these questions. We are informed subliminally of the meaning of our world by the language that we speak.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand my language-culture discovery and its importance? What is/are the missing piece/pieces of information that they need to know in order to fully appreciate it? The world could be a lot better than it is. Humans could act in ways far better than they currently do. A better way is possible. We need only the vision as an every-day experience in order for us to act in accord with it. The consciousness of how to act in order to create the world we wish must be the status quo not the rarity that it now is. This changing of the status-quo can be accomplished by changing the culture and changing the culture is accomplished by changing the language. We have no way of knowing the ultimate meaning of anything. When we become aware of something, we question its meaning and once something is questioned, we never gain a true sence of its absolute meaning Only that which we do not question seems to be true absolutely. The certainty of the inimformed is typically replaced by the wonderment of the “enlightened”. Our culture/language supplies us with a sence of knowing the meaning of all things for which we have a name. This sense of the meaning of things helps us to feel secure in the face of an otherwise uncertain, threatening world. We gain that sense of knowing the meaning of things simply be having words for things. Our subconscious accepts the affects of the sound of the words as being the affects of the things to which the words refer. The words stand for the things we name with them and replace, subliminally, our perception of the things referred to with our perception of the words themselves. The words are all we have to go on for the sensing of the meaning/effect of the things. Having words imform us of the meaning/effect of things has some advantages compared to being informed of the meaning/effect of things by direct perception of the things themselves. All those who use a particular language have the same sense of the meaning of named things and consequently, are able to participate in a group dynamic. The words for things stay constant through time while how we are affected by things changes. We can share experience, knowledge and wisdom with words. Without words, our own personal experience would remain only our own. And words enable abstract thought and planning. We think with the perception of the words for things and feel as though we were thinking with the perception of the things themselves. Are we conscious that we are affected by the sounds we make with our voice? We should be. We are commonly aware that the quality of singers voices affects us. We know that great orators affect us with their delivery and vocal character. The same is true with actors. Everyone whose voice we hear affects us. The human voice affects us deeply and without our conscious effort. When we make word-free sounds with our voice, we experience the effect of those sounds. When we make vocal sounds in order to utter words, we generally do not sense the effect of those sounds because our attention is redirected from the affects on us of the vocal sounds to the task of comprehending the connection between the words and the things they represent. The affects upon us of the sounds of our words remain, on a subliminal level, when we use our vocal sounds as words. Using the sounds as words diverts our attention from the awareness of the affect on us of the sounds and directs it to the awareness of the referential functioning of our words. We are affected by sounds of our words whether we make them simply as vocal sounds or as words. When we utter vocal sounds that are simply sounds and not words, we experience with awareness, the way the sounds affect us. When we utter the samevocal sounds as words, we experience the meanings of the words with awareness and not the affects on us of the sounds of the words. When we utter words, we experience the affects of the vocal sounds subliminally. Because we experience one thing, (the meanings of the words), consciously, and another thing, (the affects on us of the sounds), subconsiously, we interpret the affects of the sounds as being the affects of the things to which the words refer. The subconscious mind supplies us with the bottom line of the meaning of whatever is is we are considering because we cannot reason with it and with the conscious mind, we can. Whatever we are conscious of, we can question and whatever we question is unclear/ However we have a subconscious reaction to that which is unknown, as long as we have a word for it and that subconscious reaction tends to create an experience of and hence a sense of knowing the meaning of that which was unknown. The word stands in for the unknown thing. And what do we truly know? We tend to rely on our words to provide us with a sense of knowing because knowing relieves us of our anxiety and stress. We are driven to the familiar circle of our culture, as embodied by and in our language, by the stress of the fear generated by not knowing. One must be willing to embrace the mystery of existence in order to experience free from the bias of existing culture. Considering words to be things and not merely representations of things will free us to examine them for their meaning. The meaning of a word is not the thing it represents. It is the way we are affected by it. We consciously consider the meaning of the word to be the thing to which the word refers and we subcinsciously experience the meaning of the thing refered too to be the affects on us of the sounds of the word. Because we experience profoundly and reliably the affects of our human vocal sounds while we experience less intimately and less reliably the affects on us of the things represented by words, the affects of the words as sounds overrides the affects of the things named, and informs us of the nature of whatever things we name. The way explorers laid claim to land in the name of the monarch, we lay claim to that which we name in order to render it seemingly familiar and known.

				How We Are Affected By Our Culture
				       And How We Can Change It

It all started a long time ago; relatively speaking. When I was a young child my parents instilled in me a very strong sense of social justice and a belief in the ultimate good of humanity. I was taught to see the world as a work in progress, one that needed attention. Only by dedication to principle, I was told, could we make it a better place in which to live. Both my father and mother were labor organizers. My dad emigrated to the USA from Ukraine. My mother was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She had no dad present as her mother and an unknown partner collaborated without the formality of legal marriage and did not remain together. She was adopted by a somewhat successful business man and his wife and received a scholarship offer to study singing at a university. She chose to organize coal miners in West Virginia rather than to pursue the scholarship. My dad arrived at Ellis Island in 1922 at the age of 15. He, his mother and sister stayed with a family member in Boston where he worked in his uncle’s furniture store. At 15 1/2, he was run over by a gasoline truck with solid hard rubber wheels while riding a bicycle and lost his left leg below the knee. Although he wished to study engineering, financial necessity caused him to work in a furniture factory. He was thrown down the stairs of the shop by goons because he was talking union. After that, he vowed that they would never treat him in such a way again. At 19 years of age, he was elected to be the president of his local furniture workers union. His early life seems to have been quite difficult. His father died of tuberculosis when my dad was 13; the various armies of the period were ranging across the countryside raping and conscripting and taking whatever they wanted; he, his mother and younger sister traveled to Poland, where they waited for two years in for papers to immigrate to America. He told me that, as a young adult in Boston, he got drunk at a party and woke up three weeks later in a strange hotel room in a strange town, with no memory of what he did during the three weeks. My mother and dad were both married and divorced before they married each other; my mother to a minister and my dad to a woman who later married a minister. For most of my childhood, I was read to alot by my mother and I listened to music on a then state of the art high fidelity record player/radio. My dad would talk to me somewhat seriously, (as one would with a child, being straightforward while avoiding dark and gloomy proclamations), about all sorts of things, philosophical and current. I would listen for hours to the 78s and old lps and watch the needle track along the grooves. “How can the sound, which emotionally affects me so profoundly, come from these inanimate records?”, I thought. I asked my mother how the sound came from the record and she explained that the grooves have ripples in them and when the needle travels along the ripples in the grooves it moves in a way representative of that shape. Those movements are then converted to electrical impulses and then to sound. the same sound that caused the ripples to be made when the record was recorded. So the shape of the ripples on the record store the sound that made them. That sound can be recreated by reading that shape with a needle. It was fascinating. As I grew up, I became progressively more and more aware of injustices, atrocities and disparities between what we seem to ideologically subscribe to and how we behave and asked myself why it was that way. I knew that the answer was discoverable and I felt I could discover it. I determined that I definitely did not want to be a martyr by “fighting the good fight”, as my parents and countless others had done, only to be gloriously defeated by some obstacle caused by an undiscovered relationship between one thing and another. For several years that question percolated in my mind as bits and pieces of relevant findings were added to my reservoir of information. I assumed that we humans are not born fundamentally destructive. It seemed, from what I had learned, that we inherently want to survive and reproduce and that in itself was not problematical. Therefore, behavior that violates this principle must be informed by something we have learned. We learn our fundamental values and assumptions from our culture. I asked how those values and assumptions transfer from the culture to the people. I remembered that my mother said that it is not what is said but rather how it is said that really informs us. I wondered what, exactly, that meant. I knew that culture could work for us rather than against us. We simply had to discover how it works and remake it. In 1969, I was living in a commune in Placitas, New Mexico. There was a child’s phonograph player there and a John Coltrane album which I played. The instrumental music inspired images of such strength and clarity that I marveled that such definite images could be conveyed by musical sounds rather than by words, and wondered how that could be. The answer came that words are sounds also, so how could words convey meaning? The same way nonverbal sounds do. I hitchhiked from Placitas, in the snowy winter, back to Los Angeles, to the house where I lived when I was in grades four through twelve. There, in the quiet evening, in the room that previously was my bedroom, while lying in bed, I reasoned that if vocal sounds affect us emotionally, I ought to be able to perceive that effect by saying the sounds out loud and feeling my reaction to each of them. I proceeded to say the sounds of the letters of the alphabet. After experiencing the effects of the first few letters, I realized that a story was unfolding. The ways I was being affected by the sounds of the letters of the alphabet, in the order of their appearance in the alphabet, was telling a story of a person’s life. Although I thought that that was profound and was fascinated by this finding, I did not believe that that story was an accurate representation of the major events in a person’s life. My first reaction to this revelation was that I could become renowned for the discovery. But immediately I thought that that could not happen because people lacked the prerequisite knowledge in order to understand my discovery. They had not gone through some of the things that I had, things that seemed to be essential to the acquiring of the understanding of how language works. Not until 1982 did I decide to try to communicate my findings to others beyond immediate contacts. I did not have any idea what I was to do as a member of the human family, if not to attempt to share this most significant revelation with the others on this planet. I wrote approximately 300 letters to professors, mostly within the USA. Two from the then Soviet Union wrote back in longhand, in Russian, stating that my “theory” could not be correct because it contradicted Marxist theory, which contends that the economic relationships within society determine the nature of the culture, not the other way around, as I was proposing. The failure of the Russian revolution seems to support my view. The Marxist economy was rejected by the body politic due to its incompatibility with the existing culture, a culture which produced czars and then commissars. Although the titles had changed, the functions had remained pretty much the same. The American labor movement is another example of how the default mode of the culture reestablishes itself after relatively brief departures from the ordinary. We come from the monarchal systems of England and the rest of Europe and, but for the titles, have changed little from our origins. I received about fifty replies from professors of linguistics and some people of notoriety and none of them, it seems, understood the concept I expressed to them. One common hurdle to achieving understanding that they seemed to be unable/ unwilling to overcome was the idea that the primary meaning of vocal sounds and, by extension words, is the affect they cause within each of we humans and not the things to which words refer. Later I also surmised that they did not realize that we really do not know the meaning of anything. We behave as though we know, for a fact, our taken-for-granted assumptions, only because they have not been held to the light of scrutiny. It is only that of which we are not consciously aware and consequently do not question, that we act as if we “know” for sure. Remember the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland? When asked how he managed to coordinate the movements of all those legs, he became aware of the previously unconscious process of walking and suddenly could not walk. The only sense of the meaning of things that we share in common with the others of our society is instilled in each of us by the relationship between the sounds of our words and the things to which those words refer. Words are the creator of our “autonomic” sense of the meaning of the things that make up our environment. We give things a familiarity by attaching to them sounds emanating our body. What do they really have to do with such sounds? The relationship between the sounds of words and their referential usage only makes sense when viewed from the perspective of those who first uttered them in reaction to that for which they became the word. What meaning, if any, do things have if we are not affected by those things? All meaning is relative. If we were unaffected by something, would it be meaningful? How would that meaning be perceived? Clearly, what we want to know about something, (anything), is how it affects us, what its meaning is. The lack of understanding, even more the lack of interest in understanding what I was putting forth to the academicians, dampened my impulse to reach out to those I thought were most likely to understand and appreciate my discovery. It has been my lot to be charged with this message and to seemingly have almost no one with which to share it. I figured that what I was saying was threatening on a deep level to most who might otherwise gain a glimpse of it. My discovery, seems to threaten the sense of security of those who consciously or otherwise treat their culture as an idol. Some of us, especially those of highly exercised intellectual abilities, feel that security is to be had by being able to “explain” the meaning of things. What meaning is revealed by uttering words, (sounds), about things? Doing so may create the illusion of understanding by seeming to make the named things familiar but does it really prove anything about the things? Words can be used in a kindly manner to help get us back on track when we lose our way. But they cannot convince any one who is determined to see things in a certain way. Only the willing can be helped and, if they are truly willing, it seems likely that they would need none.

[...]

Why is it so difficult for people to understand my language-culture discovery and its importance? What is/are the missing piece/pieces of information that they need to know in order to fully appreciate it? The world could be a lot better than it is. Humans could act in ways far better than they currently do. A better way is possible. We need only the vision as an everyday experience in order for us to act in accord with it. The consciousness of how to act in order to create the world we wish must be the status quo not the rarity that it now is. This changing of the status-quo can be accomplished by changing the culture and changing the culture is accomplished by changing the language. We have no way of knowing the ultimate meaning of anything. When we become aware of something, we question its meaning and once something is questioned, we never gain a true sense of its absolute meaning Only that which we do not question seems to be true absolutely. The certainty of the uninformed is typically replaced by the wonderment of the “enlightened”. Our culture/language supplies us with a sense of knowing the meaning of all things for which we have a name. This sense of the meaning of things helps us to feel secure in the face of an otherwise uncertain, threatening world. We gain that sense of knowing the meaning of things simply be having words for things. Our subconscious accepts the affects of the sound of the words as being the affects of the things to which the words refer. The words stand for the things we name with them and replace, subliminally, our perception of the things referred to with our perception of the words themselves. The words are all we have to go on for the sensing of the meaning/effect of the things. Having words inform us of the meaning/effect of things has some advantages compared to being informed of the meaning/effect of things by direct perception of the things themselves. All those who use a particular language have the same sense of the meaning of named things and consequently, are able to participate in a group dynamic. The words for things stay constant through time while how we are affected by things changes. We can share experience, knowledge and wisdom with words. Without words, our own personal experience would remain only our own. And words enable abstract thought and planning. We think with the perception of the words for things and feel as though we were thinking with the perception of the things themselves. Are we conscious that we are affected by the sounds we make with our voice? We should be. We are commonly aware that the quality of singers voices affects us. We know that great orators affect us with their delivery and vocal character. The same is true with actors. Everyone whose voice we hear affects us. The human voice affects us deeply and without our conscious effort. When we make word-free sounds with our voice, we experience the effect of those sounds. When we make vocal sounds in order to utter words, we generally do not sense the effect of those sounds because our attention is redirected from the affects on us of the vocal sounds to the task of comprehending the connection between the words and the things they represent. The affects upon us of the sounds of our words remain, on a subliminal level, when we use our vocal sounds as words. Using the sounds as words diverts our attention from the awareness of the affect on us of the sounds and directs it to the awareness of the referential functioning of our words. We are affected by sounds of our words whether we make them simply as vocal sounds or as words. When we utter vocal sounds that are simply sounds and not words, we experience with awareness, the way the sounds affect us. When we utter the same vocal sounds as words, we experience the meanings of the words with awareness and not the affects on us of the sounds of the words. When we utter words, we experience the affects of the vocal sounds subliminally. Because we experience one thing, (the meanings of the words), consciously, and another thing, (the affects on us of the sounds), subconsciously, we interpret the affects of the sounds as being the affects of the things to which the words refer. The subconscious mind supplies us with the bottom line of the meaning of whatever is is we are considering because we cannot reason with it and with the conscious mind, we can. Whatever we are conscious of, we can question and whatever we question is unclear/ However we have a subconscious reaction to that which is unknown, as long as we have a word for it and that subconscious reaction tends to create an experience of and hence a sense of knowing the meaning of that which was unknown. The word stands in for the unknown thing. And what do we truly know? We tend to rely on our words to provide us with a sense of knowing because knowing relieves us of our anxiety and stress. We are driven to the familiar circle of our culture, as embodied by and in our language, by the stress of the fear generated by not knowing. One must be willing to embrace the mystery of existence in order to experience free from the bias of existing culture. Considering words to be things and not merely representations of things will free us to examine them for their meaning. The meaning of a word is not the thing it represents. It is the way we are affected by it. We consciously consider the meaning of the word to be the thing to which the word refers and we subconsciously experience the meaning of the thing referred too to be the affects on us of the sounds of the word. Because we experience profoundly and reliably the affects of our human vocal sounds while we experience less intimately and less reliably the affects on us of the things represented by words, the affects of the words as sounds overrides the affects of the things named, and informs us of the nature of whatever things we name. The way explorers laid claim to land in the name of the monarch, we lay claim to that which we name in order to render it seemingly familiar and known.

I would like to share with you a discovery I made regarding how our use of spoken language creates consensus-reinforced perception and, since we act in accordance with how we perceive things, to that extent, determines our actions. The behavioral choices we make are informed by our perceptions of the affects on us of the things that make up our world. We achieve a sense of how we are affected by things more as a result of our language than as a result of our own nonlinguistic experience. Is that sense, due to the actual firsthand effect of things on each of us individually? How do we/can we know what the ultimate effect of anything is upon us, either as an individual or as a society? Do we even know the meaning of life? How can we know the ultimate effect on us of anything if we do not know the purpose/goal of life? A particular way we are affected is either desirable or not as that effect relates to that large purpose, and who among us knows that purpose and is able to show others, by proof, what it is? We seem to share, with other “reasonable” people, what we think is a commonsense view of life, but there is so much room for different choices. How do we make our choices? In the vacuum created by the questioning mind, we have only our conventional wisdom, as represented by our culture, to inform us. The more we question, the more we realize that we do not know. How can we act not knowing what things mean? We must have something to go on, a given, on which to base our choices. That given is our language. The sounds we use to refer to the various things we refer vocally to, seem to enable us to get a feeling of the affect/meaning of the things named. We have nothing else to rely on, as individuals and more-so as a group, since our common language provides us with a common frame of reference. Vocal sounds themselves, whether they are within words or simply as sounds, are richly meaningful in the sense that they affect our emotional state. Vocalizing communicates states of our organism. Each particular vocal sound communicates/conveys a particular state. When we use these vocal sounds, each with its own effect/meaning, to refer to particular things, as we do when we speak with words, we bestow meaning upon the things to which we vocally refer, things that we would otherwise not perceive as we do if not for their names. The sounds of our language are by, for and of our body/emotions/feelings, while the things we name are relatively removed from our immediate experience. Naming things seems to render them understandable. This sense of knowing is created by associating our familiar body-made vocal sounds with them. The perceived meaning-strength of our verbal utterances is greater than the perceived meaning-strength of the things named by them and thus, the affect on us of the sounds of our words pushes aside and replaces the affects on us of the things themselves. The symbol not only represents the symbolized in our consciousness, more profoundly, the effect of the symbol, (in this case, the word), on us subliminally, takes the place of the effect on us of the symbolized: the map replaces the territory. As we are beings who manipulate symbols to gain understanding, we live in a world of our own making, not because of intentional design, but rather by the nature of language/culture. In a world prior to the proliferation of technology, using language enhanced our survivability. However, in a world in which we are surrounded by the results of our own efforts, (our artifacts), as we are now, our language/culture may be a major cause of our difficulties. Culture is a living artifact, representing the mentality of our ancestors and instilling that mentality, that world- view in us. I believe that once we understand the mechanism of culture, we will choose to create it deliberately. Some say that existing culture is natural and that to tinker with it would be risky and of no certain benefit. I say that we cannot afford to fear to experiment with new ways of seeing our world. After all, we are not in such a favorable position relative to our prognosis for survival as a species, -precisely because of the effect on us of our culture-, that we should adopt a passive attitude regarding our culture. “If we do not change our direction we will end up where we are headed.” The meaning of any thing is the same as its affect on us and its affect on us is its meaning. It is the effect of a thing that we perceive and that perceiving informs us of the existence of the thing. It is only that which affects us that we perceive, and it is that effect on us that is its meaning. It defies logic and experience to hold that we are unaffected by our vocal sounds, either used as words or not. If we accept the premise that we are affected by our vocal sounds, that our vocal sounds communicate, we might ask ourselves what the affects upon us are of those sounds?

As a society,we are affected by things subliminal including the sounds of words. The sounds of words do not cease to be things themselves, when they are used as words to represent other things. The use of vocal sounds to represent other things is a relatively recent development in our species’ evolution. Prior to that, our forbears’ vocalizing simply expressed immediate body-mind states. We are affected subconsciously by the sound/sounds of any given word in the same way as our forbears were affected by the thing that now, the word represents. They reacted to a thing: the vocal part of that reaction later became a word and we who use/hear that word, react to the sound/sounds of that word as they reacted to the thing. Experiencing the word replaces experiencing the thing the word represents. Culture is instilled in us in that way. The word acts as an experiential transmitter. The experience that caused the word to be uttered is represented in those who hear that word at a later time. By this means, our forbears’ experience of a thing becomes our experience of that thing. Thus, we are at once, informed and defined by our language/culture. Our culture is the real status quo, the actual “law of the land”. It rules from our unconscious minds, beyond the reach of our deliberative process. Since we cannot, in the final analysis, prove anything at all, it is by default that the values, the unquestioned assumptions, which reside in the unconscious mind, constitute our foundation. Furthermore, while our own experiences are unique to each of us, it is our culturally/ linguistically-created experiences that we share as a group. To be a part of the group, one must adopt the group’s consensus experience as one’s own. To be conventionally understood, one must speak the mother tongue. Similar to an iceberg. the preponderance of the import of language occurs beneath the surface of awareness. One must consider the role of the unconscious mind in order to grasp the true function of language. Language is based on sound, sound made with the human voice. The sounds we produce vocally communicate our emotional condition. When we vibrate that part of our body specifically designed to vibrate, (the vocal apparatus), we show others what is going on with us, we cause others specialized vibration-receiving body parts, (the auditory apparatus), to vibrate in kind. The motion of the auditory apparatus mimics the motion of the vocal apparatus. After being vibrated by an other’s voice, we are able to reproduce those vocal sounds. When we hear someone speak, at the same time that we are trying to understand what is being said, (what is meant by any particular words), our emotions/feelings are being informed by the effects on us of the sounds that constitute the words we hear. We do not need to consciously try to apprehend the meanings/ effects of the vocal sounds themselves, the meanings are the effects on us of the sounds. We do need to consciously try to understand the meanings/ referential functions, of the words. Because of that, the focus of our conscious attention is removed from the affect of our vocal sounds and placed upon the relationship between the words and the things they signify. That type of meaning is peculiar to each language and is not necessarily intuitive. As for the demand that the claim that vocal sounds are communicative, be proven; why is there not a demand that the claim that facial expression and body posture in general are communicative, be proven? Why does no one dispute the second claim while establishment linguists deny that vocal sounds convey meaning? Is it because they are so caught up with considerations of the referential function of words that they cannot experience the effects on themselves of the sounds that make up the words? Does it not stand to reason that vocal sounds must affect us? Is it not true that everything we perceive affects us and that it is precisely that effect which we perceive? Can there be perception without being affected? And is it not also true that the meaning of anything must, in the final analysis, be simply its effect upon us?

	Please let me know whether you relate to these ideas.

		Joseph Gilbert

What is language doing to us, that we don’t know about? What do these sounds that come forth from our bodies mean? What does anything mean? Is finding what anything means the same as discovering how it affects us? Is the meaning the same as the emotional effect? Could it be anything other than that? How do we know how anything emotionally affects us? Do things affect us? Are we emotionally affected by the sounds we produce vocally? If so, how are we affected? Are we emotionally affected more strongly by the sounds we vocally produce or by the things in our environment? Where do emotional reactions come from? The conscious or the subconscious? Do we obtain a sense of the meaning of a thing from deliberative thinking about it or from our subconscious reaction to our mental process regarding it? Emotions well up from the depths of our occult minds. Once we become aware of our reactions to a thing, we can question the reason for the reaction and reinform ourselves about the thing affecting us. With new information, our emotional reaction changes. What do the very words we use to describe a thing to ourselves do to our sense of the meaning of the thing? When we compare the thing in question to other things not in question, we are not really discovering its meaning. We are rather, assuming that the meaning of the things we use to clarify the meaning of our subject, are themselves clearly meaningful. What if they are not? Is it possible for them to be not? The only thing in this scenario that is unquestionably meaningful is the sounds of the words we use to label the things. And, we normally, do not even consider our vocal sounds to be meaningful. Because their affect on us is through our subconscious, we are not aware of it and thus are affected more unalterably than if we were aware of the fact that we are being affected by the sounds of our words. Although logically, it is impossible for us to not be affected by our vocal sounds, we do not dwell on that phenomenon and do not consider it an issue of moment. Supposing we were affected by vocal sounds: what would that mean? Would our perception of the things we refer to verbally be influenced? Would our sense of the meaning of named things be determined by the vocal sounds we use to refer to those things?

The Culture Made Us Do It “The unrecognized function of language”

As with an iceberg, the largest consequence of language is under the surface. The iceberg is ninety percent under water and language effects us predominantly from beneath the surface of awareness. Many crucial human activities go on without awareness. All of the digestive, circulatory and, most of the time, the respiratory functions take place without conscious awareness. The subconscious mind supports the same kinds of activity as does the conscious mind. Anything that can be automated is, by nature. Automating essential activities frees the conscious mind to dwell on issues for which coping behaviors are not yet firmly established. There is no need to be aware of a process that takes place well enough without awareness. It is only when a problem arises that we humans, in an attempt to solve it, focus our awareness on it. It is not the importance of an issue that dictates whether we pay conscious attention to it: it is how well we are coping with that issue. If we are coping well enough without awareness, why “reinvent the wheel”? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” As most of us know, our human condition is painfully broke and has been for as long as we can recall. How can we fix it? Could it be that that we are governed by something we cannot see, something of which we are not cognizant? Is there anything in nature that would make such a situation impossible or improbable? We all talk of culture. What do we mean by “culture”? In the New World Dictionary of the American Language, definition number 6 of culture, states, ”The ideas, customs, skills, arts, etc. of a given people in a given period; civilization.” I define culture as, “The values/assumptions that are shared by the users/practitioners of any given language.” The history of the human race is basically, the record of intra and inter-cultural “chemistry”. We have been, for the most part, passive recipients of whatever was dealt us by our cultures. Like passengers on a great yacht, our fates are sealed by the course charted in advance by the directives mandated by our culture. Wouldn’t we rather be active participants in shaping our destiny? We can be if we understand how culture works. It is a simple and natural phenomena, and, although we created it, we do not understand it. Until we do, we will be merely incidental and directed actors in a script not of our choosing. Just as understanding our biology liberates us from the chains of previously immutable “law”, so too, knowing what culture is and consequently, how to alter it, will free us from our collective destiny of carrying out the plan set in motion by the emergence of language/culture. We will become aware of our culture when we realize the necessity of doing so. When we know that we cannot go on indefinitely with our current flight plan, unaware, on autopilot, we will look for new understandings of our human behavior. Through the years, centuries and millennia, our culture has served us in whatever way it has, for better or for worse. It seems that we now acknowledge that we are, “up against it”, and that we need to change our ways. Before technology and industrialization, we did not feel the heat of our cultural impasse nearly as much as we do now. The power to alter our environment given to us by our technology has brought the issue of our inappropriate behavior to the forefront. The results of our cultural inadequacy is right in our faces. However, we have not yet, as a society, identified the source of our problem. We have not yet realized how we are possessed by our culture or even what culture is. We sometimes question why we act in ways so antithetical to our professed beliefs/values. We go to church on Sunday and are back in the lurch on Monday. Our saints and prophets tell us The Truth and we nod our heads in agreement. Yet we continue to behave as we have for generations, in ways characteristic of our culture, not in ways representative of our professed beliefs and values. This contradiction and dissonance between what we believe consciously and what seems to be truly motivating our behavior is the cause of much confusion and angst. We are passive recipients of the hands dealt us by our culture not the masters of our destiny. Let us become conscious of the nature of the relationship between ourselves and our culture. How can any of us experience the effect on our emotions of the vocal sounds we utter and/or hear? I accomplished that by saying the sounds of our language, using the alphabet as a sequential guide, and sensitizing myself to the emotional effect of each sound in turn. We used to live in whatever shelters, such as caves or rock overhangs, we found already existing. Then we learned to make shelters where and when we wished. We have, until now, lived within and according to whatever culture in which we happened to be born. We can now attempt to make our culture one that instills in us the values we consciously hold, rather than the values we inherited from our distant ancestors. When I was in school, I was taught that culture is things like classical music, opera, the fine arts, classic literature and theater. I sensed that culture was far deeper than that, that culture existed in each of us, deeply ingrained in our minds. Not until I discovered the mechanics of language did I clearly realize what culture is, what it does to us and how it does it. Before I discovered how language works, I did not understand what culture is. The two, language and culture, are identical twins, each with a different name and apparent mission but made from the same dna. Culture is an abstraction and language is the physical mechanism from whence it springs. Language uses emotionally evocative sounds to represent things, thereby suggesting the meanings of those things. The sense of the meaning of things derived from words, accompanied by our sense of self identity, directs us as to how to behave in relation to those things. The values etched in our culture by language long ago are instilled in us and direct our behavior today. A body continues in its state of motion until it is acted on by an outside force. Human culture remains fundamentally unchanged until it is changed by those who sense a need to change it. The subconscious mind is where culture resides. Culture remains unexamined and unchanged within the subconscious mind until we see a need to change it. Many others have spoken about the need to change the way we, as a society, think: some have tried, by using means, such as meditation, sleep deprivation, psychoactive substances and chanting to accomplish this change and have been more or less able to do so for themselves. However, it seems they were not able to lastingly infuse society at large with their newly-found vision, due to not addressing this issue from the root. One must understand a process before one can intentionally and deliberately alter it. Understanding the “nuts and bolts” of language makes it possible to change our culture, providing we have the will to do so. Cultural awareness is what I wish to create. First we must identify what culture is and then discover how it functions. The awareness of the importance culture in shaping human events is lacking in most of us. The idea that we are strongly influenced by a force invisible to us tends to be strange and unsettling. The glue that binds us together as a society is so much an ingrained part of our lives, that we do not perceive it as a force. It operates automatically and therefore requires no attention in order to function as the organizing premise of society. The question of whether we approve of its values almost never arises. Rather, we act as automatons, driven by the invisible program instilled in us with the learning of our language. Just as features of our physical bodies evolved by natural selection, so culture evolves by natural processes without our conscious consent. Culture has served us tolerably well through most of our species’ history. However, since the emergence of mechanization, the contradictions between our professed values and our way of life have become increasingly obvious. This is due to the magnifying effect of technology on the impact of human actions. What we do today affects our shared environment far more than what we did prior to technology, while our culture is basically the same as it was before industrialization. This forces upon us the issue of the correctness of the values that underlie our assumptions about the nature of reality. We can no longer afford to forge ahead willy-nilly with no regard for the consequences of our actions. The tension caused by the contradiction between our professed beliefs and the beliefs implied/expressed by our actions is caused by the isolation from our conscious apprehension of the source of the values that drive our actions. Our conscious beliefs derive from our intellectual workings while our actions are driven by our cultural conditioning, which resides in our subconscious minds. We all have different beliefs, depending on what mental roads we have traveled and we who share a given language, all have the same underlying, subliminal values. How we translate these common values into actions depends on our perception of what character we are in the script of our society. In the script we are born into, we act the role we see ourselves as plausibly and convincingly being able to play. One’s assumed role in society must seem plausible to one given one’s assessment of oneself. However, if one sees oneself as crazy, one may exempt oneself from needing to be rational and may engage in wishful thinking in selecting their role. Our understanding of culture is vastly more incomplete than is our understanding of mathematics, physics, astronomy, biology or even psychology and sociology. The radio-telescope, electron microscope and other information gathering tools continue to enable us to conceive of that which we previously could grasp only metaphysically. We can also build our awareness of the machinations of human culture by focusing our attention on it and bringing to bear, in our quest for understanding, whatever relevant knowledge we may have. If we widely saw that culture impacts our everyday life to the extent to which it does, we would feel a powerful motivation to discover its inner workings. Language is the body whose “physics” we must comprehend in order to understand the “nuts-and-bolts” of culture.

			The Unrecognized Role of Language in Society

Language is the stealth “law-of-the-land”. We are creatures of culture, originally unconscious creators of culturre and its subjects. Our culture originally enhanced our survivability and in a technologically modern world, may become the instrument of our demise. Our culturally derived ways of relating to one another may have once been viable, although perhaps immoral, and now, with our powerful ability to cause environmental change, are untenable. ”The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” --- Albert Einstein I aim to change the way we think. By changing our culture we may change our perception of the meaning of our world.

The referential function of human language is merely the “tip of the iceberg” of what language does. Its larger and more profound function is that it informs us of the meanings of all that we name. We are moved in a primal way by the sounds we produce with our voice and, in the absence of any “objective”, absolute information regarding (the affects on us)/ (the meanings of) the things of our world, we accept the affects on us of the vocal sounds of our words as representing the affects on us of the things to which our words refer. In this way, we are informed subliminally of the meaning of our world simply by learning our language. How else could we, as very young children, have achieved a sense of how we were affected by the numerous things that we identified as being things? This matter is of paramount importance because we act in accordance with what our world means and our subliminal sense of that meaning is derived from the relationship between how we are affected by our words. Much of human behavior that is commonly attributed to “human nature”, is actually cultural nature, caused by the influence of our culture/language on our world-view. How/what would our society be if we had a culture which instilled in us the values we consciously and deliberately hold? Presently, we simply assimilate the culture we were born into without knowing how we are being formed by its handed-down world-view. Once we understand the mechanism of cultural transmission, we will be able to change our group program. I’m sure some of us will be eager to do so. However, it seems that many of us are too timid to venture forth from the fold of our familar assumptions. Some have expressed to me that language, as it exists, is a Natural phenomenon and that to change it deliberately would produce an unnatural result the consequences of which would be uncertain. To those who believe that, I suggest that we are inherently unable to venture out of the natural realm, as we are inextricably woven into the web of nature. Furthermore it is entirely correct and wholesome for us to choose to improve our society with the intention of increasing our chance of survival. Once we see how we may help ourselves we would be correct to use all our knowledge to do so. Vocal sounds either communicate just as vocal sounds or they do not. If we assume that vocal sounds do not communicate anything, then language only refers to things. If we assume that vocal sounds do communicate something simply as vocal sounds whether or not they are used as words or parts of words, then language does more than merely refer to things: it also informs us about the things named. Which is the case? Do any of us believe that none of our vocal sounds express/ communicate anything? If we believe that vocal sounds communicate/ express something, then what is it that they communicate/express? If vocal sounds communicate as sounds separate from words, do they loose that communicative function when incorporated into words or do they express something when used in words? If vocal sounds that constitute words communicate something as stand- alone sounds, then what effect does the sound of a word exert on our perception of the thing refered to by that word? The sounds we make with our voice, were made them long ago, before we used them as words, and they conveyed feeling and emotion. We still make sounds and they convey feeling and emotion now as they did then. Using them as words, to designate things, does not cause them to cease conveying emotion. The stronger affect on us of the sounds of words than the effect on us of the things which words label, the consensus regarding the meaning of things that words provide members of a group who speak a common language and a constancy of the sense of the meanings of things we name, all contribute to our subconscious acceptance of the effect on us of the sounds of words as representing the effect on us of the things which words represent. When we use words, we feel we have a sort of first-hand experience with the things named. This experience with the linguistic reflection of the things named provides us with a sense of their meaning. The sound, which is rich with emotional affect, by default, informs us of the emotion associated with the thing. We associate the sound of a word for a thing with the thing; so we associate the effect of the sound as a thing, with the effect of the thing, for it is the effect of a thing and only the effect of a thing that lets us know that the thing is there and what it means. We have nothing else common, constant, and which affects us more strongly when the named thing itself is not there in front of us, than the sounds of words, (the sounds of our voice). The affects on us of the sounds of our own voice takes the place of the affects on us of the things themselves. We make our world familiar and handleable by using our bodily sounds to represent the things we encounter. We intuitively understand the meanings/ effects of our vocal sounds while we do not as readily understand the effects on us of the things in our world. Our vocal sounds are of by and for us while the world-out-there is much less familiar and more difficult to relate to intuitively.

The sounds that a musical instrument makes are a result of the materials and construction of the instrument. When something vibrates, it makes sounds according to its physical structure. Whatever is doing the vibrating is what sounds. Mothers sing sweetl lulabys to babies, not pirate drinking songs. Why? Bcause the sounds the mother makes cause the baby to vibrate in a similar manner. Entrainment is a word that may be used to describe this phenomena. There is the driver and the driven. The mother is the driver and the baby is the driven. The mother establishes a pattern of motion and the baby assumes motion in that pattern. If one wishes to calm another, one speaks calmly. Elemental states are being transmitted/ communicated by the mother to the baby. Are elemental states communicated by phonemes? Is there a relationship between the vocal sounds we make and our emotive/feeling states? Do our vocal sounds correlate to our feelings/emotions? Are vocal sounds meaningful? Do they cause an effect in us? As a form of body language, are vocal sounds meaningful as facial expressions are meaningful?
All animals that breathe make sounds when they breathe. The air passing into and out of the body makes sounds and those sounds are formed and shaped by whatever the condition of the body is. Think of The Star Wars character, Darth Vader, as he breathes. How communicative is the way he breathes?! One may ask how does the sound of breathing communicate and what does it communicate? If simply breathing communicates, then does vocalizing communicate? Do the sounds that we produce, in order to form our words, communicate? If they do, then what it that they communicate? There are some vocal sounds to which One may feel a reaction, such as the sound of the letter, “R”, or that of the “M”, or the “A”, or “E”, etc..

Supposing that all the sounds we make communicate; would our feelings about a thing be affected by what the sounds we use to refer to it communicate to us? Many linguisrs and others maintain that the sounds we make when we speak, in and of themselves, have no meaning. By saying that they have no meaning one is holding that they do not communicate. But if Darth Vader’s breathing communicates, which it obviously does, then even breathing is meaningful, its meaning being the affect it causes in us. One may say that the affect on us of the sounds of breathing is an emotional affect and therefore has no meaning per se’. At this point one would be separating the concept of emotional effect from the concept of meaning. If emotional affect is not meaningful, what is? One may say that the meaning of a word is the thing to which it refers. If this were true, we would have no clue of the meaning of any thing. We would know what the sounds of theword mean but we would have no sense of what the thing means. We need to know what the thing means: we already know what the sounds of the word mean. And can a sound mean a thing? Or does a sound have meaning of its own? Does the thing have meaning of ots own? It seems likely that vocal sounds have effect/meaning and it seems impossible that things have particular meanings. After all, it is how any thing affects us that is its meaning. The way a thing affects us changes through time and is different folks, whereas the effects on us of the sounds of our own voices affects us the same through time and for all of us. However, if, on the other hand, we derive our sense of the meaning of a thing from the sounds of the word for it, we do have a definite sense of its meaning because we are affecdted emotionally by those sounds.