[xmca] Call for Proposals

We are soliciting proposals for an edited collection centered on
multilingual and multimodal composing across a range of contexts:
classrooms, companies, and communities. We would be interested in receiving
proposals from people taking up a sociocultural/cultural-historical activity
theory framework on these issues. Please feel free to contact Steve Fraiberg
(sfraibe2@gmail.com, Visiting Assistant Professor, Michigan State
University, Residential College of Arts and Humanities) or Xiaoye You (
xuy10@psu.edu, Assistant Professor, Penn State University, English
Department) with any questions.

The call for proposals is listed below (and attached).

Steven Fraiberg and Xiaoye You are seeking contributors to an edited
collection, *Re-Mixing and Mashing: Multilingual and Multimodal Composing*.
In the area of literacy and language studies, scholars have called for
crossing geographic and disciplinary borders in order to understand the ways
English is being taken up, resisted, and transformed in relation to other
languages and globalization. Responding to these calls, this edited
collection aims to develop a rich understanding of multilingual composing
processes across a range of contexts—classrooms, communities, workplaces,
institutions, home environments—and the ways these practices are deeply
linked to fluid and dynamic flows of capital, cultures, histories, and
ideologies resulting in hybrid identities and novel forms of discursive
practices. Drawing on work in multiliteracies, we further aim to extend the
scope of multilingual research by developing rich descriptions of the ways
that *multimodal* activities are deeply blended into speaking, reading,
writing practices co-constituting complex ecologies distributed across space
and time. It is the assumption of this collection that such fine grained
descriptions of multimodal-multilingual literacy practices are critical for
developing broader methodological and theoretical frameworks related to
teaching, language policy, and research. To this end, we seek
interdisciplinary scholarship on multilingual and multimodal literacy
practices across a wide range of disciplines, including composition,
literacy studies, ESL, new media, World Englishes, linguistic anthropology,
rhetoric, technical communication, organizational behavior, applied
linguistics, critical discourse analysis, computer mediated communication,
education, and a range of other relevant disciplines.

We seek proposals that challenge and inform our work with or on multilingual
and multimodal literacy practices, considering such questions as:

   - How do writers construct multilingual and multimodal texts and objects
   (web pages, chats, graffiti, speeches, student papers, brochures, business
   proposals, presentations, laundry lists)? We seek rich descriptions of
   multilingual and multimodal literacy practices across a range of
   contexts—classrooms, communities, workplaces, home environments—with links
   to constellations of institutional, ideological, cultural, historical, and
   global factors.
   - How is multilingual-multimodal writing embedded in a complex ecology of
   texts, tools, people, institutions, histories, cultures, ideologies?
   - How do multilingual and multimodal practices—in conjunction with
   written texts, objects, talk, design, gesture, physical positioning and
   alignment—coordinate activities? How are these activities intertwined with
   broader sociocultural contexts?
   - How can an understanding of *unofficial* multilingual and multimodal
   literacy practices such as social networking, web page design, digital story
   telling, and graffiti inform our officially sanctioned practices in our
   research, teaching, and policy making?
   - What theoretical and methodological frameworks should we use for
   researching multilingual and multimodal texts and composing?
   - What are the challenges that researchers face in multilingual and
   multimodal research, teaching, and policy making? What benefits and insights
   from attending to these issues can be gained?

We welcome 1-2 page (300-600 word) proposals for research-focused papers
that explore the complexities and issues of multilingual and multimodal
composing processes and texts across classrooms, workplaces, and community
contexts.

*Deadline for Proposals:* September 1, 2009.  Send electronically (prefer MS
Word) to Steven Fraiberg at *sfraibe2@gmail.com* <sfraibe2@gmail.com>.

*Notification of Acceptance: *October 1, 2009 - - - *Manuscripts Due: *February
1, 2010 - - - *Projected Publication: *Spring 2011.