From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:32 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Saussure

David,

It's a very interesting manuscript, for sure.

At the top of page 272 LSV writes that "mastering the structure of the
relation of the phoneme and the phone in one particular case, the
child masters the structure as a whole." Leaving aside the claim made
here, the use of both 'phoneme' and 'phone' here suggests that two
distinct terms were used in the Russian, though how consistently they
were translated I can only guess.

A phone is a sound considered outside language, right? An [x] rather
than an /x/. In a previous life (well, a previous country) I took an
extension course in phonetics. I got the lowest passing grade and I
(like to) think that my poor performance was due to my skepticism over
the IPA. It's a way to describe phones, if I remember correctly:
recognizing and characterizing sounds as they are produced without
reference to any specific language's phonemic system. (Hence the
'I'nternational.)

But how is this possible? If I lost the ability at around 8 months of
age to make or recognize phonemic distinctions that are irrelevant to
my native language, how on earth can I regain that ability in a
university extension course?

(That's a largely rhetorical question.. But feel free to answer it if
you wish.)

Martin

<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu