Re: [xmca] cartoons-comics in sociocultural context

Katerina,

I can cite not a book but a cartoon example...

It is from Cuba, the name of the main hero is Elpidio Valdes, a
fighter from the independence war at the end of the 19th century
against Spanish colonialism

The cartoon is full of historical elements (may be interesting from
socio cultural point of view and also from historical one), elements
whose existence persist strongly in today's Cuban society as social
and cultural images...(independence values, patriotism and so on)

I know also that it is a strong cartoon for children and adults in
terms of many good jokes it contains.

Creator is Juan Padron

Additionally; Interestingly, market economy penetrates children's play
even in a country like Cuba. At first,  you think that as a country
Cuba is able to present many alternatives for children. But it seems
that this is not always so even though I am sure that Cuban children
make themselves heroes like Elpidio Valdes

A Cuban visited Turkey recently and I showed him a spider man plastic
toy, asking if it is popular among Cuban children or not. He told me
that it -  spider man-  is a quite good present if one thinks to give
it to a Cuban child...