RE: [xmca] Intensions in context and speech complexity ; From 2-?

To complicate the issue or just wish you well as you go off the topic...

Little ones I've known get very involved when adults copy them.

Even very very little ones.  Gestures, vocal or not.  Language or not.
Long exchanges when the adult appropriates the child's gesture as an
initiation to repeat.
The child does a next -- sometimes the same act, sometimes different,
sometimes almost a challenge routine.

Joint act of communion if not communication in most senses of the word.