Re: [xmca] Mediation and a teacher's resignation

Hi Greg,

I do think that 'mediated' is the appropriate term. I was conducting field work in a school district when a precursor to NCLB was implemented at the state level. At the same time local reforms were being encouraged and the NSF state-systemic initiative was involved too. These reforms truly had a dramatic impact 'inside' the classroom - which is actually not self-enclosed at all. Tests, for example, are conducted within the four walls, but the scores are reported in the newspaper, are read as indicators of 'efficiency' by administrators and legislators, etc.

I see this as mediation because all the machinery of something like NCLB enters into the interaction between teacher and students - comes 'between' them.

I can say more if you're interested, and when I have more time.

Martin