From: Duvall, Emily <emily@uidaho.edu>
Subject: RE: [xmca] Circle of Activity?
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 5:45 PM

Hi Paul,
I took a seminar on TM as well... from Denny Schmidt at Penn State... :-)
I like to think that Gadamer moved Heidegger's work forward. Isn't that what all good grad students should do?
At any rate, yes, the circle doesn't close but renews itself so to speak as new understandings/fusions are achieved (and they are achieved if you consider the importance placed on conversation for Gadamer). For me the 'circle' is much better understood as a spiral that doesn't end... kind of like those tops that keep spinning and the circle keeps moving as it appropriates and renews.
I actually have a paper going on Vygotsky and Gadamer that I submitted to MCA... sent back because I need to work on internalization... one of these days. Perhaps you might be interested in some collaboration???
~em