[xmca] AERA 2010 CALL FOR PROPOSALS ­ Cultural-Historical Research SIG

(with apologies for double-postings)

Dear xmca members:
This is a reminder that the deadline for submission of proposals is this
Wednesday, JULY 15, 2009.  The SIG call for proposals is reposted below.

We¹d like to make you aware that very few proposals have been submitted to
the CH-SIG thus far this year, perhaps because of changes in submission and
review procedures.  If you are considering submission, we strongly encourage
you to consider submitting to our SIG.

We hope to hear from you soon!
Kevin and Lois

Dear xmca members:

We would like to encourage you to submit proposals for papers and symposia
for inclusion in the 2010 CH-SIG program at the AERA Annual Meeting, to be
held in Denver, CO, from Friday, April 30­Tuesday, May 4, 2010.

This year¹s Annual Meeting theme, Understanding Complex Ecologies in a
Changing World, is central to the work of the members of our SIG.  We
strongly encourage your submissions, as the quality of our program depends
on the strength of the proposals that we receive.  Also, keep in mind that
the number and type of sessions allocated by AERA to each unit are based in
part on the total number of proposals received by the unit - so please
submit your proposals to our SIG!   You can view this year¹s call for
proposals at http://www.aera.net/Default.aspx?id=7588

As most of you are probably aware, there have been some important changes in
AERA program procedures this year.  These are summarized in the following
paragraphs.  A more complete summary is available at
http://www.aera.net/Default.aspx?id=7738 , which we strongly encourage you
to read prior to submission.

First, there is an earlier submission deadline than for past meetings.  THIS
YEAR'S SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS JULY 15, 2009. All proposals must be submitted
electronically through the AERA Online Proposal Submission System, which is
now open at https://www.aera.net/AALogin.aspx?ReturnURL=/WS/UpdateAA.aspx

Second, the number of paper/symposium sessions available at the Annual
Meeting overall has been decreased by about 30%, and the emphasis on
roundtable and poster sessions will be increased. We will do our best to
accommodate the preferred format of accepted proposals, but please do
understand that the number of traditional paper and symposia sessions will
be somewhat limited in comparison to past Annual Meetings.  We encourage you
to consider whether alternative formats might also be suited to your
presentation, and to indicate this in your proposal.

Third, and possibly related to the above, roundtables will now be held in 90
minute sessions, 3 presentations per session, with a chair/discussant.  This
seems to hold the potential for related individual presentations to be
grouped together into sessions that resemble a symposium format.  As program
chairs, we are interested in exploring the possibilities of this session
format.  Please feel free to communicate with us if you¹d be interested in
such a format.

Finally, the new guidelines for individual paper, roundtable, and poster
sessions require submission of a ³narrative paper² of 2000 words or less,
and not simply a ³proposal to write a paper.²  While this might appear to be
a major change from past practices, we want to emphasize that the guidelines
state that this paper ³may be a final or preliminary paper,² and that the
final paper need not be submitted until 3 weeks prior to the Annual Meeting.
We expect to be generous in our interpretation of ³preliminary,² especially
during this transitional year.

Please feel free to contact us for clarification of any of these procedures.
We hope that you will consider our SIG when preparing your proposals.

We hope to hear from you!

Lois Holzman <lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org>
Kevin O'Connor <kevin.oconnor@rochester.edu>

Cultural-Historical Research SIG Program co-chairs